Introduce yourself...

Anything off-topic. If you're a new user please feel free to introduce yourself here.
steve crawshaw

Re: Introduce yourself...

Post by steve crawshaw »

look forward to meeting you pete
cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
JSHaworth

Post by JSHaworth »

Hi all,

Recent emigree from London and ex-northerner. Grew up making kits with dad, now graduated to BIAB.

Hoping to swap some notes and possibly find a someone interested in splitting a grain bill with me.

Last Brew 4.2% IPA; Currently Making: Cider; Currently reading: Brentwood Breweries: (ever so catchy titled) "Selected notes and collated information giving details on Brewing theory". Last disaster: Overprimed bottle conditioned BIAB Saison.

John based in Ashley Down
darrenw

Post by darrenw »

JSHaworth wrote:Hi all,

Recent emigree from London and ex-northerner. Grew up making kits with dad, now graduated to BIAB.

Hoping to swap some notes and possibly find a someone interested in splitting a grain bill with me.

Last Brew 4.2% IPA; Currently Making: Cider; Currently reading: Brentwood Breweries: (ever so catchy titled) "Selected notes and collated information giving details on Brewing theory". Last disaster: Overprimed bottle conditioned BIAB Saison.

John based in Ashley Down
Welcome, Swing on by Bristol brewing Circle this Thursday at Miners arms if your free
Darren
----
Teipouf

Post by Teipouf »

Hi all !

I'm loic, 29, and... I'm french just arrived in UK and in Bristol so please be nice my english is improving every day but it isn't as good as I would.

I've been brewing since 2012 first all grain batch with my cousin in a microbrewery handmade but fully operational. today I'm still brewng and I especially designed a picobrewery for UK a small one. My wife did'nt allow me to move my 35L one vessel one in bristol.

About beers, if I have to choose a lager it should be a german beer but for a ale a proper cask beer from UK.

how I would describe my perfect beer, not too high in alcool, smooth not to gazy, bitter not sweet.

I use to brew amber ale, best bitter, and porter, with 2 steps mash in + the mash out, I'm not a fan of the dry hop.

I could discuss a all day of beer ! I'm stopping my presentation here I look forward to seeing you all at the different meetings.

cheers

loc
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Hi Loic,

It was nice to meet you at the last BCB meeting and I'm glad we've got you registered on this forum :)
Rob___I

Post by Rob___I »

Hi,
Looks like I joined this forum a while back but neglected to introduce myself – sorry about that!

I’m Rob. Grew up in Worcestershire, Uni’d and lived in Bristol for a good while and have been living in Stroud now for about 5 years.

I have been brewing for about 4 years (extract for the first year and AG since then). First batch was a Woodford Wherry kit with hop tea, and my latest batch was a Dunkels Hefeweizen. Currently fermenting a red ale with (temperamental) Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley (i.e. Brakspear) yeast

I generally brew ales, of varying colours and strengths. I try to get something fermented once a month. Usually my own recipes or tweaks of published ones.

Was good to meet some of you on Monday at the Volley. Looking forward to sharing more beer and ingredients. Hoping to get some critical feedback for improving my brewing!

Rob.
HughBeedie

Post by HughBeedie »

Hi

I'm Hugh. Used to brew a lot in my student days, but have only just taken it up again after a 40yr gap - yes, I'm now retired !!

Never used to have any bad brews back then, but now I'm getting problems with 1 in every 3 or 4 batches having an off taste. Hopefully, I can bring some along to a meeting and someone might be able to identify the problem. The water is very hard here (near Bath), and I think it goes through a water softener - new place so I'm getting used to it. Maybe that can cause it ?

I'm mostly trying to make hoppy pale ales, using some steeped crystal, malt extract and a range of hops. I'm keeping notes and can't see any common pattern to the faulty brews.

Hope someone can help.

Hugh
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

What type of water softener?

I think I would prefer to treat 'natural' water.
HughBeedie

Post by HughBeedie »

RogerP wrote:What type of water softener?

It uses standard water softener salt pellets, which I assume is sodium chloride.

Hugh
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

HughBeedie wrote:
RogerP wrote:What type of water softener?

It uses standard water softener salt pellets, which I assume is sodium chloride.

Hugh
I just would not use that water for drinking or brewing. You must have a tap that you can water from before the softener - for drinking for example?

It is odd that you only notice the off flavour every so often which would point to an infection possibly. I would bring some of the off and good beer to a meeting for a diagnosis.