Best pubs/bars for good beer Bristol and Bath

Anything and everything about beer and brewing it.
disasterjustavoided

Best pubs/bars for good beer Bristol and Bath

Post by disasterjustavoided »

The miners is a little dissapointing for ale at the moment but I hear there are different pubs in Bristol, some of which even sell some pretty good beer. I'm sure there are some hidden gems out there that I might have missed, any suggestions?

Mine would be town centre - Severn stars, good for beer but with a tendancy for a rather eclectic crowd. Robin Hood in fact both Robin Hood pubs the one at St Micheals and the one on Glous Rd. Brew dog, if you have just sold all your gold. Star and Dove in Totterdown has a nice selection including some bottled American beers and then over in Bath the Royal Oak it has to be!
Capn Ahab

Re: Best pubs/bars for good beer Bristol and Bath

Post by Capn Ahab »

disasterjustavoided wrote:The miners is a little dissapointing for ale at the moment but I hear there are different pubs in Bristol, some of which even sell some pretty good beer. I'm sure there are some hidden gems out there that I might have missed, any suggestions?

Mine would be town centre - Severn stars, good for beer but with a tendancy for a rather eclectic crowd. Robin Hood in fact both Robin Hood pubs the one at St Micheals and the one on Glous Rd. Brew dog, if you have just sold all your gold. Star and Dove in Totterdown has a nice selection including some bottled American beers and then over in Bath the Royal Oak it has to be!
If that's the Miners in St Werburghs you're talking about, their ale selection has been very mediocre for a long time. That said you can always get a decent pint (Tribute and Gold are good fall backs) and the fact that they have six hand-pulls is generally a good thing.

The Volunteer Tavern is pretty good, The Three Tuns is pretty damn fine and The Cornubia has a good beer selection. I like The Bell in Bath.
Eat sh*t or die trying
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

The Cornubia is variable, don't like their summertime cask storage (outside at whatever the ambient temp is), crowded and overdone with Union flags. Maybe better in the Winter. Handy as a start or end point in the cornubia-seven stars-brewdog-fishmarket run.

Three Tuns is very good and its near neighbour the Bag of Nails (beer festival this Thursday-Sunday) is worth a visit, both handy for the Grain Barge and the Orchard (if the ferries are running).

Colston Yard always worth a visit with a bottled beer range even better than the Bag of Nails. It's close to the Griffon (and Zero Degrees if you like that sort of thing).

Volunteer tavern is friendly and has some well kept beers but is on it's own unless you can count the Nights Templar as nearby.
juliancheal

Post by juliancheal »

The Raven (in Bath) is good for decent ales, they have lots. Also they sell great pies (from Pieminister)
SandyM

Post by SandyM »

If you are St Werburghs based and want a local pint the lazy dog isn't bad. Don't get me wrong, it's no Three Tuns, but they look after their beer and usually have a reasonable pint on that is more interesting than the usual fare. The food is pretty good too, it was my favorite Sunday roast until I discovered the roasts at their sister pub the pipe and slippers.

A little further than that is the Annexe which is basically the sportsman but a different pub on the same grounds (same owners, they share a garden). 4 house beers (Landlord is a good staple) and 2 guests. Full of grave dodgers but reasonably priced and the pizzas are better and cheaper than any take away I know in Bristol. If you fancy a game of pool the sporty has great tables and you can bring your proper beer in from the annexe. Don't go into the sporty on a Friday or Saturday night though unless you fancy listening to shite music in a pub full of chavy twats. It's much better in the week.
Burns stuff. And makes beer. Usually not at the same time.
PMowdes

Post by PMowdes »

Hillgrove Porters store in Kingsdown is good as is the Inn on the Green in Horfield
60 percent of the time it works every time.