Wherry not clearing

Anything and everything about beer and brewing it.
bobster

Wherry not clearing

Post by bobster »

I've not had a lot of luck withWoodfordes Wherry, this my first brew,following kegging my barrel(19-4-11) started to drip/leak so I syphoned it all out,cured the leak and rekegged the brew. I have just pulled a small amount(19-5-11),and following the big gush as it flew out of the keg,I'm left with a very cloudy brew,and the contents of the keg are not clear,smells like bitter,tastes like bitter but doesn't appear appealing !!!. Will adding filings help? If so advice on best choice please.
I_used_to_brew

Re: Wherry not clearing

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Wherry from a kit is a fine tasting and smelling drink but it will take at least 6 weeks in the keg to clear, I would leave it 8 weeks before trying it. It's not a kit for those lacking patience, but, hey, time to get another one on whilst your waiting for this :)
bobster

Post by bobster »

Thanks for the reply Trunkster, have also got a Coopers dark ale & a Coopers Stout kegged.
The dark is clearing nicely,and the stout has only been kegged for a week. Mrs Bobster is very receptive to good ale,but she likes a 'sweeter' tasting brew examples Hobgoblin/Owd Rodger any suggestions on how to sweeten the taste without ending up with a syrupy flavoured drink?
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

bobster wrote: any suggestions on how to sweeten the taste without ending up with a syrupy flavoured drink?

Not really. Somebody else might have an idea.
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

You could offer her some sugar syrup to add to taste. Not uncommon with some of the Belgian sour ales.

Alternatively, you could sweeten with an artificial sweetener.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
bobster

Post by bobster »

Was looking for a more caramel type taste as opposed to a sweet taste,if you follow my drift