Brewing Water BS7

Anything and everything about beer and brewing it.
jedtrently

Brewing Water BS7

Post by jedtrently »

Hi,

Been looking into the ph and ions of my brew water, I get it straight from the tap. Had a look on the Bristol Water site and got a report for my area. Plugged it into Bru'nwater and hit a bit of a snag. Once I put in grain bill it says the ph is too high, at around 6+ pH

What do you do to your water to get it to a better level to use with beer?

I've been addiding campden tabs, plus I have some gypsum that I can use but not sure.

Cheers
beerbulger

Re: Brewing Water BS7

Post by beerbulger »

There are a few ways of doing this, but the most convenient is the use of food grade acid which is supported by bru'nwater. AMS or CRS are popular acid blends available from home-brew shops, or phosphoric is available online.
Other alternatives include pre-boiling - search carbonate or temporary hardness reduction if you want to research this.
BTW, you'll make beer just fine without adjusting! Bristol water is generally hard and suits darker styles, which have more natural acidity from the grist.
jedtrently

Post by jedtrently »

beerbulger wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:36 am There are a few ways of doing this, but the most convenient is the use of food grade acid which is supported by bru'nwater. AMS or CRS are popular acid blends available from home-brew shops, or phosphoric is available online.
Other alternatives include pre-boiling - search carbonate or temporary hardness reduction if you want to research this.
BTW, you'll make beer just fine without adjusting! Bristol water is generally hard and suits darker styles, which have more natural acidity from the grist.
Cheers buddy!

Yeah I just want to try and perfect the little to improve the brew. I've been adding a campden tab to neutralise chlorine but would like to check out other days of 'fixing' the water. I'll give that a search in mean time...

Thanks
big nige

Post by big nige »

i,m new= to brewing and have bought a reverse osmosis unit to give me pure water.
bristol water is still 6.7 ph after filtration.
used the buffer star 5.2 which reduced the ph to 5.4 but the ppm reading went up to 204 from original 1.
am at a loss as to how to change this.
any answers
rodneygullick

Post by rodneygullick »

i got onto bristol water works i asked them about CaCo3 i was told they did not understand what i was talking about ?
rodneygullick

malt

Post by rodneygullick »

why was i not informed about the last malt pick up i have only got a laptop the phone i got is just a phone i cant pick up anything else on it ?