Bristol Water Treatment

Anything and everything about beer and brewing it.
Alan Riley

Bristol Water Treatment

Post by Alan Riley »

I have just moved to Bristol and about to do my first brew here. I have calculated the water treatment I need for BS9, I have attached a pdf of the figures. Not sure about the figures but wondered what others use in this area.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I_used_to_brew

Re: Bristol Water Treatment

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Erm. Erm. Divisive topic to be honest....

Main point seems to be to rid your water of Chlorine. I understand that a largish local brewery treat the water with a little acid for pale beers and do nothing for dark ones. I also add some Sulphate for hoppy beers, I don't like the flavour if the level is too low.

But, it's not bad brewing water in general. Your source can change from Mendip to River Severn on the whim of BW :)
Alan Riley

Post by Alan Riley »

RogerP wrote:Erm. Erm. Divisive topic to be honest....

Main point seems to be to rid your water of Chlorine. I understand that a largish local brewery treat the water with a little acid for pale beers and do nothing for dark ones. I also add some Sulphate for hoppy beers, I don't like the flavour if the level is too low.

But, it's not bad brewing water in general. Your source can change from Mendip to River Severn on the whim of BW :)
Thanks Roger, I thought when I moved here I would try doing the mash without water treatment, but when it came to it I couldn't resist the habit that I am used to. After a few brews I will try a non treatment brew and see what ph I get for the mash.
rodneygullick

Post by rodneygullick »

( chlorine problems ) crush 1 Campden tablet to a fine powder and add to your water before the boil stir to help it dissolve thoroughly
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Alan Riley wrote: Thanks Roger, I thought when I moved here I would try doing the mash without water treatment, but when it came to it I couldn't resist the habit that I am used to. After a few brews I will try a non treatment brew and see what ph I get for the mash.
I've not had problems hitting the correct mash pH for the brews I do without any significant water treatment. I do believe that there is much to be gained by the correct water treatment but much more to be lost if you get it wrong.
Alan Riley

Post by Alan Riley »

I've not had problems hitting the correct mash pH for the brews I do without any significant water treatment. I do believe that there is much to be gained by the correct water treatment but much more to be lost if you get it wrong.[/quote]

I am doing my first brew tomorrow and will see how it goes. It will be either a mild or a trashy blond.
PMowdes

Post by PMowdes »

Bristol water is quite hard. I'd recommend testing for alkalinity each time you brew and treating accordingly. Alkalinity varies quite a bit depending on season and which reservoir the water comes from.

Since the alkalinity has the biggest single impact on mash pH it's important to measure. You can get a salifert alkalinity test kit from eBay for less than a tenner.

Bristol water is generally good for darker beers, just be a little cautious with pales.
60 percent of the time it works every time.
Alan Riley

Post by Alan Riley »

PMowdes wrote:Bristol water is quite hard. I'd recommend testing for alkalinity each time you brew and treating accordingly. Alkalinity varies quite a bit depending on season and which reservoir the water comes from.

Since the alkalinity has the biggest single impact on mash pH it's important to measure. You can get a salifert alkalinity test kit from eBay for less than a tenner.

Bristol water is generally good for darker beers, just be a little cautious with pales.
Thanks. I have just ordered one. I brewed a mild yesterday and the mash ph was about 5.2 with the treatment I used. I will be doing another brew when the mild has fermented and will use the kit you recommended before I start.