Torrified wheat

Anything and everything about beer and brewing it.
Capn Ahab

Torrified wheat

Post by Capn Ahab »

Why bother??? What does it add other than head retention? And how much do you need to use for the purpose?

Ditto flaked barley.

Any wisdom, wisecracks or weirdness gratefully received...

Mark
Eat sh*t or die trying
Taz Ales
Site Admin

Re: Torrified wheat

Post by Taz Ales »

Gack!
Taz... or Chris. It's up to you.
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

Ok, I can answer this....

Torrified wheat is used to provide proteins to increase head retention. It's use over malted or flaked wheat is for two reasons - the process of torrifieing (puffing) gelatinizes the starch meaning you can extract it easily - and it's easier to lauter. Oh and it adds some bite (think of the slight tang in Black Sheep).

Flaked Barley does the same thing, but you don't have the same lautering issue, and is used in stouts as roasting malt destroys the proteins that contribute to head formation and retention.

How much is enough? depends on the beer, and you don't necessarily need it. As a guide, 3-5% Torrified wheat in a Best Bitter, 5-10% flaked barley in a stout. Step mashing with a protein rest will also aid head retention.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Terrified wheat tastes of cack, don't use it. Unmalted/flaked/rolled barley gives lots of head and body with practically zero taste of cack.
Mike Palmer

Post by Mike Palmer »

Gives lots of what? This is a family forum.
Long live SHA(T)!
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

alikocho wrote: It's use over malted or flaked wheat is for two reasons - the process of torrifieing (puffing) gelatinizes the starch meaning you can extract it easily (1) - and it's easier to lauter. (2)

Flaked Barley does the same thing, but you don't have the same lautering issue (3), and is used in stouts as roasting malt destroys the proteins that contribute to head formation and retention.

Step mashing with a protein rest will also aid head retention. (4)
(1) Does that mean you don't get any fermentable sugars out of it?

(2) Is it easier to lauter because it is puffy and holds its shape better?

(3) What lautering 'issue'? Do you mean it is just not so easy to lauter?

(4) Where can I find out more about step mashing and the different mash rests in a concise and pithy form?

Thanks BTW.
Eat sh*t or die trying
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

Capn Ahab wrote:
(4) Where can I find out more about step mashing and the different mash rests in a concise and pithy form?
I see there's a fair bit on John Palmer's how to brew about this. He says step mashing in a cool box is tricky, especially if you want to do more than two steps. Anyone tried it, who can report back on a technique that works?
Eat sh*t or die trying
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

Capn Ahab wrote:
alikocho wrote: It's use over malted or flaked wheat is for two reasons - the process of torrifieing (puffing) gelatinizes the starch meaning you can extract it easily (1) - and it's easier to lauter. (2)

Flaked Barley does the same thing, but you don't have the same lautering issue (3), and is used in stouts as roasting malt destroys the proteins that contribute to head formation and retention.

Step mashing with a protein rest will also aid head retention. (4)
(1) Does that mean you don't get any fermentable sugars out of it?

(2) Is it easier to lauter because it is puffy and holds its shape better?

(3) What lautering 'issue'? Do you mean it is just not so easy to lauter?

Thanks BTW.
1. It means that the starches are readily soluble. As torrified wheat is unmalted, the process aids extraction.
2. Yep
3. I meant that flaked barley doesn't give you the lauter issue of wheat (hence why brewer's don't tend to use puffed barley).
4. John Palmer, How to Brew or Randy Mosher, Radical Brewing are pretty clear on the subject. Decent brewing software will help with pulling it off.
Ali

BJCP National Judge

alikocho

Post by alikocho »

Capn Ahab wrote:
Capn Ahab wrote:
I see there's a fair bit on John Palmer's how to brew about this. He says step mashing in a cool box is tricky, especially if you want to do more than two steps. Anyone tried it, who can report back on a technique that works?
There's more than one way to do it. Direct heat to the mashtun, recirculating (HERMS or RIMS), decoction, turbid mashing or infusion. Guessing that you'd be doing it by infusion, it's doable in a cooler (I have done it at 3 steps), but it does depend on a) how big your mashtun is, b) how much grain is in it, c) how much water you already have, d) how much boiling water you need to add to get to the temperature you want.

The excellent Can I Mash It calculator will help you work this out along with the volumes of water you'll need for the steps, which are elsewhere on the same page - http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml
Ali

BJCP National Judge

Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

alikocho wrote: 1. It means that the starches are readily soluble. As torrified wheat is unmalted, the process aids extraction.
Are these starches then converted by the enzymes in your base malt then?

(Old Chinese proverb: Ask once, be an idiot for five minutes; don't ask at all, be an idiot forever.)
Eat sh*t or die trying