Blackberry Porter

Anything and everything about beer and brewing it.
periolus

Blackberry Porter

Post by periolus »

Good evening!

I am very keen to produce a blackberry porter. I currently work with kits, and won't be AG-ready until Christmas, but I when I do get there, this will be the first brew I try.

My questions are:

At what stage do you add the blackberry juice, and in what way?
Are there several ways of doing it?
Can the juice be used, for example, as part or even all of the priming sugar for kegging?

Any experiences and advice would be very gratefully received! And indeed recipes!
FV1: EMPTY
FV2: EMPTY
Conditioning: NOWT
Drinking:Countdown Conundrum - Best Bitter; Haka! The Herald - Pacific IPA
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA
alikocho

Re: Blackberry Porter

Post by alikocho »

There are several ways you could do this.

Use them as they are, don't worry about juicing them. You also need to think about the quantity you want to use, and how that will play in your porter

My advice would be to freeze your blackberries (this will kill most of the undesireables and more importatnly rupture the cell walls), then rack the beer on top of them in secondary. The beer will start to referment as the yeast munches the sugar.

They would work to prime the beer, but you'd need to know what the sugar content was in order to calculate the amount.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
periolus

Post by periolus »

Thank you for that. What would happen, incidentally, if you just racked onto the juice extracted from the blackberries (previously frozen and defrosted)?

It looks like I may be able to attend the meeting this Thursday after all. I may have more questions then!
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

periolus wrote:Thank you for that. What would happen, incidentally, if you just racked onto the juice extracted from the blackberries (previously frozen and defrosted)?
Much the same, but with less fruit matter. Juicing's an extra step, but it sounds as though you've already done it. RDWHAHB
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
periolus

Post by periolus »

I haven't juiced yet, but was going to shortly, as I am also planning some blackberry & elderberry wine. So far, all the fruit is in the freezer!

What is RDWHAHB?
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Home Brew