Conditioning

Anything and everything about beer and brewing it.
darrenw

Conditioning

Post by darrenw »

My Clone of Brewdog Challenger IPA is about 1.5 weeks into fermentation, I usually rack to secondary then keg condition was going to use a Young's 23l keg (my usual), purged with co2 (recipe says 5 weeks) then I need to pop 250g of Challenger in at the end (dry hopping), for 5 days then I'll pop into a cornie, should I just do it all in the bucket and skip racking?
Darren
----
I_used_to_brew

Re: Conditioning

Post by I_used_to_brew »

I've done both and either work.

Not having a plastic keg any longer means I tend to get it all over with in the FV. It's S/S and has a good seal so I don't worry about leaving it an extra week or so. Otherwise I would generally be quite keen to get it into a corny after 10-14 days max.
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

250g of challenger in a 20L batch - that is massive!

If it's pellets I would be tempted to dry hop in the FV for a last 3 - 4 days i.e. now. Then cold crash if you can so the pellets drop out. Then into the pressure barrel to condition.

cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
darrenw

Post by darrenw »

steve crawshaw wrote:250g of challenger in a 20L batch - that is massive!
Yeah using my home grown ones
Darren
----
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

I'll be interested to taste that. I once tried to make a copy of Moor's Illusion with something like that dry hop quantity. It was undrinkable. I guess home grown ones might be less intense than commercial.
cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
darrenw

Post by darrenw »

OK,
Tossed them in last night, will leave them in there for 5 days then keg...
Darren
----