Water treatment experiment

Anything and everything about beer and brewing it.
EckersKlein

Water treatment experiment

Post by EckersKlein »

Hi everyone,
We've been chatting more and more about water treatment at meetings as of late, and I thought it would be fun to do an experiment to see what kind of difference it really makes with Bristol water. The idea is that we would do two brews of a typical APA (Sierra Nevada clone would be a good start). Both brews would have their water treated with campden tablets, since we don't want water chlorination to interfere with our results. One brew would receive no additional water treatment, and the other would get enough CRS (an acid treatment) to reduce the mash pH to 5.3. Then ferment, drink, and argue about the results.

Here's the kit we would need, apart from the usual all-grain kit:
  • Alkalinity test kit (I have one, yay)
  • pH meter (I only have the shitty strips, so an electronic meter would be really nice if anyone can contribute)
  • An electric HLT or mash tun would allow us to mash and boil at the same time, shortening the brew day. Not required, but sure would be nice.
  • Kegging gear would allow us to drink sooner. Again, not required, but would be nice.
I'm happy to host at our place in Cliftonwood. We don't have kegging gear or electrically heated HLT/mash tun, but it would still be cool to have people over for a brew and booze session. We can of course do this at any reasonable location, so speak up if you're itching to host a brew day.

Gimme a shout if you want to get in on the fun, or if you just have any tips. Perhaps we can arrange something as soon as this weekend, but otherwise anytime in the next couple of weeks.

If all goes according to plan, we can present our Water Treatment Findings (WTFs) at the next meeting, and then some smart dude like Phil can tell us the science behind what we did.
rodneygullick

Re: Water treatment experiment

Post by rodneygullick »

I've just done an aipa the tap water was 7.58 ph I measured out 11 gallons I put a campden tablet in 12 hours earlier on brew day I checked the ph level it went up to 7.73 ph I put 11.5 liters in the mash tun along with 8 ml CRS it reduced down to 6,33 ph I then added the malt 5.9 grist which dropped it down to 5.46 I let it go at that
PMowdes

Post by PMowdes »

I think you see more of an effect if we tinker with the Sulphate and Chloride content rather than just tweaking the pH. Just sayin '
60 percent of the time it works every time.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Sulphate, more so, especially in a hoppy beer :)
EckersKlein

Post by EckersKlein »

PMowdes wrote:I think you see more of an effect if we tinker with the Sulphate and Chloride content rather than just tweaking the pH. Just sayin '
I'm inclined to agree, but which is more prudent to test first? Or would you suggest we add another dimension to the test matrix?
vacant

Post by vacant »

Brewing a clone is a good idea. You'll then be able to include the original in your double-blind trial.
When a man is tired of beer, he is tired of life; for there is in beer all that life can afford
darrenw

Post by darrenw »

I have a electric ph meter, could use my grainfather, it makes things quick... I'll be free this weekend.
Darren
----
PMowdes

Post by PMowdes »

EckersKlein wrote:
PMowdes wrote:I think you see more of an effect if we tinker with the Sulphate and Chloride content rather than just tweaking the pH. Just sayin '
I'm inclined to agree, but which is more prudent to test first? Or would you suggest we add another dimension to the test matrix?

Hmm, I'm not so sure what the difference will be if you just tinker with the mash pH. perhaps i'll have a chat with Rich.

My understanding is that if the pH is wrong you won't get proper conversion of your starch because enzymes won't function optimally. I think in practice that the is quite a bit of scope for missing the target.

In any event you might just end up with beers that is more / less fermentable.

I'd be more interested in chloride:sulphate content and or ratio, but I just don't have the time to do it.
60 percent of the time it works every time.
EckersKlein

Post by EckersKlein »

darrenw wrote:I have a electric ph meter, could use my grainfather, it makes things quick... I'll be free this weekend.
Heck yeah! What day do you prefer? Tomorrow is probably better for me, but I'm not too fussy. I can bring any ingredients needed too, as long as they can be crammed into my backpack. I'll ask Ariel to take stock once she's back at the flat later this morning.
darrenw

Post by darrenw »

OK,
My place tomorrow circa 10.30am onwards Ariel and Eric are coming.

Doing an APA 23l
4.35 PM
0.45 Pail CM

23 Columbus 60
10 Cascade 10
10 Cascade steep 20

IBU 40, Target OG 1.052

Please pm if you want to pop by, were obviously doing two so will take a few hours
Darren
----