utilization

Anything and everything about beer and brewing it.
rodneygullick

utilization

Post by rodneygullick »

this has got me beat (hop utilization 20%) can anyone throw any light on it for me
PMowdes

Re: utilization

Post by PMowdes »

Hop utilization determines the amount of bittering you get from your hops.

If you are using leaf hops utilization is normally around 15%. It is higher for pellet hops, sometimes 20 -25%.

What exactly are you trying to do?

I'd be inclined to ignore it, unless you are using pellets for bittering. In which case I would use 10% less pellet hops (by weight) than you would leaf.

This explains it in more detail http://realbeer.com/hops/research.html . But like I said it's probably not worth worrying about.
60 percent of the time it works every time.
PMowdes

Post by PMowdes »

60 percent of the time it works every time.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Utilization varies with gravity of the wort too. Just use the values Phil has given and don't sweat over it too much.
rodneygullick

Post by rodneygullick »

in the near future I was thinking or making a 60 shilling scotch ale, the recipe I got says bu 28 , hop utilization 25% and that is all they say about the hops there is nothing about the amount in grams to use
Jeltz69

Post by Jeltz69 »

I wouldn't worry about the utilisation figures but other might disagree!

Personally I would just stick the recipe in a recipe planning program like Brewmate or Brew Target and adjust the level of hops until the IBUs match. If you let me see the recipe on Monday I can probably work out the grams on the way to the meeting as I have a recipe planner on my phone!
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

Hi
I tend to agree with Nic. Software can be very helpful when designing recipes, or even tailoring recipes to fit your kit. Beersmith for example will calculate utilisation rates, IBU's, colour, ABV etc etc. Of course it helps if you understand the science behind it, but if you just want to design recipes, brew beer to style and control an inventory, the software will do a lot of it for you. As with most things there is a learning curve but it is worth it IMO. Brewers friend is also worth a look and means you don't need to install anything - its all online.

cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
darrenw

Post by darrenw »

I wrote some software module a couple of years back and one of the widgets created did this.

You have 2 factors, the sg of the wort and the time you want to boil for, using these two values passing them into a formula gives you a UF.

http://realbeer.com/hops/research.html

So the UF will decrease as the SG increases over a static time period.

So would say with a 60 Shilling (1.032 SG ish) boil it for 60 min and you should be good :)
Darren
----