First Brew thanks Steve

Anything and everything about beer and brewing it.
Retrolamp

First Brew thanks Steve

Post by Retrolamp »

Ok,

Before you read I must stress that there is no real point to this post other than its my first brew. I would hate for you to be disappointed when you get to the bottom.

So I started my first proper brew yesterday (New to this malarky). My first was a larger kit that was bought as a present, its ready but has a funny tang a little sour I think, its hard to tell exactly. So rather than perfect another kit I stepped my game up, with a partial mash.

I collected my pot from Mrlard in the week and I have to say even the missus thinks its looks impressive. Then yesterday I spent boiling up the recipe from Brewers friend that Steve made up for me (Thanks Steve). Well I tinkered with it to suit the amount of ingredient I had, it was a part mash.

I only have my boil pot and not a mash tun at the moment and the chap at Love My Brew suggested I mash my Crystal Malt while I bring the wort up to the boil it was only .5kg so we will see how that goes. I sparged it in some cold water in the brew tub. Once I turned the back room in to what my missus said was a "French Sauna" (??) and made the house smell like it did in Broadmead when i was a kid. I drained my wort through a borrowed preserving colander into my brew bucket. Naively I though first this would aerate the wort but also chill it!! Nah.. Well it possibly aerated it but its still at 30c this morning I still daren't put the "cappuccino" (Yeast Starter) in.

So I'm waiting impatiently for it still to cool, will keep you updated, not on the cooling but on the brew.....

Phil
steve crawshaw

Re: First Brew thanks Steve

Post by steve crawshaw »

Good stuff, you are on your way. With the purchase of a brew bag you can move to all grain and then a world of home brewing joy awaits. Have a look at my post on one pot BIAB - cheap and simple.

You might also want to think about brewing \ boiling outside to avoid the sauna effect. You could also boil with a lid on and vent it outside though you might need some heating control to avoid over - boiling.

Hope your beer comes out well. If you want feedback you can bring it to one of the clubs in Bristol.
cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
Retrolamp

Post by Retrolamp »

Ok so,

Its done!! Could not believe the amount of time it took to cool so will have to amend the method for next time. I pitched the yeast and this morning it looked like a very good Vietnamese Whirl , not so good now. My only concern is the gravity should have been 1.045 and it came out as 1.04 will this be an issue how much is 0.005? I have no concept of this??

Phil
PMowdes

Post by PMowdes »

Retrolamp wrote:Ok so,

Its done!! Could not believe the amount of time it took to cool so will have to amend the method for next time. I pitched the yeast and this morning it looked like a very good Vietnamese Whirl , not so good now. My only concern is the gravity should have been 1.045 and it came out as 1.04 will this be an issue how much is 0.005? I have no concept of this??

Phil

It will probably come out about 0.7% abv lower

What is the target final gravity?

You can check it here http://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/
60 percent of the time it works every time.
Retrolamp

Post by Retrolamp »

Apparently 1.011.

Is it normal to start a brew with a big head and then on just day two for it to be little more than 5m thick?
PMowdes

Post by PMowdes »

Retrolamp wrote:Apparently 1.011.

Is it normal to start a brew with a big head and then on just day two for it to be little more than 5m thick?
If you mean the yeast "krausen" then yes, that's entirely normal.
60 percent of the time it works every time.
Retrolamp

Post by Retrolamp »

After a google search yes I did mean the "krausen" I'll try and add that one to my vocabulary. Well I'm dead impressed I have just taken the gravity and it comes out at the target 1.01 and I had a sneaky taste very drinkable unlike my kit larger I tried.

Well plan to leave it in the vessel for another week before bottling.

Im off to buy a Carboy I'm feeling uncomfortable with this open brewing, will tweet my recipe slightly and get another on the go....

This could get addictive, no way I could get addicted to consuming it as well right????? :-)
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Retrolamp wrote:very drinkable unlike my kit larger I tried.
There is no R in l*ger
Retrolamp

Post by Retrolamp »

Roger, if you could follow me around and correct my spelling on a daily basis that would be brill. I know there is no R in Lager but dyslexia strikes and sadly spell check doesn't pick it up.

I spent a good amount of time last night searching all the on demand players getting frustrated looking for "Merder Detectives"
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Half the Beer forum posters in the UK must be dyslexic in that case. It's such a common error, people truly believe it's larger.