non step mashing

Anything and everything about beer and brewing it.
rodneygullick

non step mashing

Post by rodneygullick »

hey guys I've got aprox 10kg wheat 10kg Munich 10kg pilsner malt and plenty of m/o I want to use up some wheat and pilsner, most of the recipes I've got is for step mashing I've never done step mashing before, has anyone got a recipe to use up some of these malts without using step mashes
PMowdes

Re: non step mashing

Post by PMowdes »

rodneygullick wrote:hey guys I've got aprox 10kg wheat 10kg Munich 10kg pilsner malt and plenty of m/o I want to use up some wheat and pilsner, most of the recipes I've got is for step mashing I've never done step mashing before, has anyone got a recipe to use up some of these malts without using step mashes

What are you trying to make? And what rest temperatures are the recipes suggesting?

If it's a protein rest or a ferrulic acid you can probably get away without doing it
60 percent of the time it works every time.
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

Yes, not needed. With possible exception of wheat beer ferrulic, but i'm no authority on that. most malts don't need step mash nowadays and why make brewday more complicated than it needs to be?
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
rodneygullick

Post by rodneygullick »

I will make anything but I've got to start using the malts , otherwise in a while they will no use they will be too old , just want a recipe
EckersKlein

Post by EckersKlein »

Do you happen to have a fermentation refrigeration system? You could do a munich lager, a weizenbock, or any number of continental lagers that make heavy use of munich.

If you ferment at room temp, an american wheat could be fun. 50/50 wheat/pils and ferment with a clean yeast like US-05. You can also add munich for a more malt-forward profile.

Or just make something up! The worst that will happen is beer.

I find Brewtoad to be useful for getting a feel for what ingredients go into a given style. It's good because you can sort by style and filter out the extract recipes.

I echo the previous thoughts on step mashing. Here are the only benefits I can see:
  • A ferrulic acid rest supposedly brings out clove-like aromas in german wheat beers. For other styles, I can't say if this would be any use.
  • A protein rest will break down proteins which may aid clarity and reduce the chance of a stuck sparge. Thing is, proteins can already be dealt with using irish moss, and sticky sparges can be fixed using oat husks, so I really fail to see the benefit of a protein rest unless you just like to kick it old school.
  • Step mashing is typically employed in decoction mashes. The step has less to do with enzyme action and more to do with the fact that if you added the boiling decoction back to the mash when the mash was already at 68°C, you'd obviously overheat the mash. So when decoction mashing, you'd need to technically "step mash", but it's only just to make sure the final mash volume hits your sach rest temperature as you add the boiling decoction back to the mash.
With regards to how old your malt is, are you sure it's going to go off after a set amount of time? I don't have much knowledge of how dry grains age, but I'd venture a guess that the date stamps on say, MaltMiller's packages, are very conservative. If you keep your malt sealed up, or at least out of a damp area, it's probably good to go for well past the stated expiration date.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

EckersKlein wrote:Or just make something up! The worst that will happen is beer.
The best advice. Ever.

Make some beer, do all the processes as best you can and then enjoy drinking it.
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

here's a nice american wheat recipe. sub any US hop for the pacific jade

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/ ... at-is-neat

or a really simple delicious stout

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/ ... -fox-stout

get brewing!
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.