Blackcurrant beer

Anything and everything about beer and brewing it.
simonmwhite

Blackcurrant beer

Post by simonmwhite »

Hi folks,

I have several blackcurrant plants in my garden and each year they produce around 2 / 2.5 kg of fruit. We usually make blackcurrant jelly (which never gets used) and last year we attempted to make cassis but failed to process the fruit in time! So I want to try something a little different this year to ensure I use up the fruit, I wondered if anyone has experience using blackcurrants in beer and if they have a proven recipe.

Looking at the BJCP Beer Style Guidelines 2015 - '29C. Speciality Fruit Beer' could be a good place to start.

Thanks,

Simon.
I_used_to_brew

Re: Blackcurrant beer

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Make the beer and add (crushed) fruit to the FV? It's what I've normally done, chance of something 'funky' occurring though. If you don't want to risk the funk then pasteurise your fruit first.
steve crawshaw

Re: Blackcurrant beer

Post by steve crawshaw »

no proven recipe but i would use a saison base and embrace the funk. If you hop it moderately it will limit lactic activity but you will get some brett from the fruit which will ferment slowly. Tonsmeire's got a recipe over at the mad fermentationist which sounds like a goer

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/20 ... aison.html

you're welcome to some oak chips if you decide to go with his recipe.

cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.