No Chill

Anything and everything about beer and brewing it.
steve crawshaw

No Chill

Post by steve crawshaw »

Further to my talk last night, here's a quick rundown.

run straight out of the boiler into a sanitised "cube" = HDPE food grade container.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-x-20L-Not-2 ... 56540ade1d

check the actual volume and adjust brewlength accordingly - likely to be 23L not 20

squeeze air out of the container, put the lid on tight and lay flat so the hot wort touches the inside of the handle. The longer you leave it (and the hotter it remains) the more likely that unwanted microbes will perish.

when you are ready to ferment, rack using sanitised stainless racking case and silicone dairy hose into your FV. oxygenate and pitch yeast using your normal method.

You can cube - hop hot (i.e. steep hops in the cube) by adding pellets to the cube as you fill from the boiler, but you will extract bitterness. I am unaware of a robust approach to calculating the extracted bitterness. You could also chill to 80C, steep in the boiler and then fill the cube, which would give you less bitterness, but with a slightly elevated risk of infection.

Overall I recommend this approach as a means of reducing water consumption, cleaning time and the length of the brew - day. It also breaks the process up into smaller parts, meaning that if you only have small time slots for brewing activity you can get a brew on either by making some wort or fermenting some stored wort.

give it a go!
cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.