use of yeast

Anything and everything about beer and brewing it.
rodneygullick

Re: use of yeast

Post by rodneygullick »

one of the yeast mentioned in the recipe is safale-05
PMowdes

Post by PMowdes »

Safale-05 is only about £3
60 percent of the time it works every time.
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

PMowdes wrote:...

Pitch your yeast, cover the top of the container with and air lock or sterile tin foil.
Let it ferment until it is finished.

It should give you enough yeast to pitch into your ale.

Double check that the starter does smell bad before pitching. It can be a sign of infection.

If i were you though i would just pitch 1.5 packets. It is slightly wasteful. but it saves the hastle and time of making a starter
There's a very interesting discussion on the AHA forum at the moment about starters. Basically there is a convincing argument being put for always pitching the starter at high krausen and not allowing it to ferment out. This is because once fermented out the yeast cells change mode and prepare for dormancy. This affects viability. When pitching at high krausen, the total amount of yeast pitched is less critical because the cells are all viable and in a growth mode. If the timing doesn't work for you, i.e. your starter is at high krausen but you're unready to pitch, you can crash the starter in the fridge and pitch the slurry later. the yeast cells will still be in growth mode.

The idea of the necessity of a stir plate is also being challenged, with the preferred approach being to vigorously shake the starter wort in a large volume flask (like a demijohn) to oxygenate and just allow the starter to krausen.

Members on that forum are experimenting with this approach. I will probably try the approach for my next brew.

cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.