homebrew flaws and their causes

Anything and everything about beer and brewing it.

What is the most common cause of flaws found in homebrewed beer?

1. Poor ingredient selection/balance issues
11%
2. Poor handling (oxidation during packaging etc)
17%
3. Water treatment or lack of
No votes
4. Fermentation/yeast issues
39%
5. Combination of 2 and 4
6%
6. Combination of 3 and 4
6%
7. All of the above
No votes
8. Other (please specify by replying below)
No votes
9. Wild yeast or bacterial infection
22%

Total votes: 18

Capn Ahab

Re: homebrew flaws and their causes

Post by Capn Ahab »

Fair enough. But back on topic, I haven't seen many infected beers at beer club in the last few years, while I have tried a lot of ropey beer. Either people are chucking their infected beers (in which case they know how to recognise infection) or there aren't that many being brewed?
Eat sh*t or die trying
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

Capn Ahab wrote:Fair enough. But back on topic, I haven't seen many infected beers at beer club in the last few years, while I have tried a lot of ropey beer. Either people are chucking their infected beers (in which case they know how to recognise infection) or there aren't that many being brewed?
Yeah, brett is the most noticeable and frequent one, though I suffered with something that seemed to take all the flavour out and create a haze that never cleared. I would like to know what that was. I don't think i've ever had a beer that was unintenionally sour and certainly not one that tasted like the majority of off flavours in the siebel kit - open grave anyone?

On the topic of commercially infected beers, the Yeast book states that around 20% of commercial beers in the US are infected. I'm guessing that excludes macro l@ger..
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
FluDavid

Post by FluDavid »

steve crawshaw wrote:
Capn Ahab wrote:Fair enough. But back on topic, I haven't seen many infected beers at beer club in the last few years, while I have tried a lot of ropey beer. Either people are chucking their infected beers (in which case they know how to recognise infection) or there aren't that many being brewed?
Yeah, brett is the most noticeable and frequent one, though I suffered with something that seemed to take all the flavour out and create a haze that never cleared. I would like to know what that was. I don't think i've ever had a beer that was unintenionally sour and certainly not one that tasted like the majority of off flavours in the siebel kit - open grave anyone?

On the topic of commercially infected beers, the Yeast book states that around 20% of commercial beers in the US are infected. I'm guessing that excludes macro l@ger..
On the subject of commercial beers in US, I can't remember the brewery name. But they had a habit of not sanitizing properly and would end up with infected beer and sell it as another beer. A lot of people complain about Lost Abbey too.

Edit: The Bruery was the brewery I was thinking of and they did a PR control letter when people found it: http://bruery.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/qu ... -beer.html
Sold infected BA Scotch Ale as a Sour Scotch Ale and such.
If you want a chuckle here is an article that tried to defend it: http://blogs.ocweekly.com/stickaforkini ... les_it.php