Stout advice needed

Anything and everything about beer and brewing it.
steve crawshaw

Stout advice needed

Post by steve crawshaw »

I've just brewed my first stout and it's kind of finished fermenting after about three days of bubbling away. Normally I would rack into a pressure barrel after a week and leave to condition for a couple of weeks. However I'm now without a pressure barrel but I do have a spare corny keg. What would anyone recommend in terms of next steps for conditioning / kegging? I was thinking of just leaving it in the primary for 2 weeks (from start of ferment) and then bung it straight in a corny keg and leave for another before drinking. Sound OK?
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
alikocho

Re: Stout advice needed

Post by alikocho »

Leave it in primary for a few days (3 or so) to allow the yeast to clean up fermentation by-products (diacteyl et al). Then rack to the keg.

Use the keg as your conditioning tank.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
I_used_to_brew

Re: Stout advice needed

Post by I_used_to_brew »

I do 7-10 days in the bucket then siphon it into a CK. If I don't have a spare CK it gets some extended time in a budget keg. Never honestly noticed any difference. No matter how clear the product is going into the CK, there will allways be some film or more of gunk when it's time to clean it out.