gravities

Anything and everything about beer and brewing it.
rodneygullick

gravities

Post by rodneygullick »

I've just done a brew 1.5 mash 1 hour boil @105-6degsC I haven't really took much notice of it before but I thought I would check the some of the gravities, I noticed that pre boil was exactly the same as end of boil I started with 28.2 low ended up with 22.5 l surly the gravity should have been higher perhaps I am doing something wrong any ideas Rodney
PMowdes

Re: gravities

Post by PMowdes »

Do you know what temperature you took your gravity readings at?

Density (which is what you are measuring) if affected by temperature.

Your hydrometer will be calibrated to a specific temperature (usually 20 degress Celcius)

You need to correct any gravity reading to the temperature of your sample.
60 percent of the time it works every time.
PMowdes

Post by PMowdes »

Also if you are boiling at 105 -106 degrees you might want to get your thermometer checked.

You shouldn't be able to get much above 100 degrees in principle.
60 percent of the time it works every time.
rodneygullick

Post by rodneygullick »

pre boil i took it down to 20c i ran it from the boiler into a glass and stood it in cold water for about 1/2 hour then i put it into my hydrometer jar and cooled it again , i was afraid that the water from the boiler might melt the jar, i done a check from the fv for final gravity ,the recipy said pre boil 1044 final gravity 1052 , i made it 1048 both times
Jeltz69

Post by Jeltz69 »

rodneygullick wrote:I've just done a brew 1.5 mash 1 hour boil @105-6degsC I haven't really took much notice of it before but I thought I would check the some of the gravities, I noticed that pre boil was exactly the same as end of boil I started with 28.2 low ended up with 22.5 l surly the gravity should have been higher perhaps I am doing something wrong any ideas Rodney
something is wrong with your readings, it isn't possible to evaporate 5+ litres and have the same sg reading as what is evaporated is water so the sugars will become more concentrated.
Taz Ales
Site Admin

Post by Taz Ales »

It's possible that the pre-boil liquid wasn't mixed well enough, and you managed to get a particularly strong concentration in the measuring cylinder.

Aside from stirring vigorously, I can thoroughly recommend spending around 25 quid for a Refractometer. 3 drops of liquid for testing... it makes life much easier, especially for checking the gravity of your run-off. If you do get one, make sure it's ATC and gives readings in Brix from 0% to around 30%. Most brewing software will deal with conversion to gravity.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat ... _PrefLoc=1
Taz... or Chris. It's up to you.
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

I've got an atc refractometer that reads both brix and sg - no conversion necessary. Best off looking for one o they.
Eat sh*t or die trying
Taz Ales
Site Admin

Post by Taz Ales »

True, but you do still need to do some correction for post-fermentation.
Taz... or Chris. It's up to you.
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

Taz Ales wrote:True, but you do still need to do some correction for post-fermentation.
You're right of course, but I use my hydrometer post fermentation.

In answer to Rodney, I think Taz is on to something regarding the wort not being mixed (stratified) pre-boil.
Eat sh*t or die trying
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

Capn Ahab wrote:I've got an atc refractometer that reads both brix and sg - no conversion necessary. Best off looking for one o they.

what do you make of the ATC refac?