dry hopping

Anything and everything about beer and brewing it.
rodneygullick

Re: dry hopping

Post by rodneygullick »

I've got a white knight larder fridge I don't know if it will go down to 5degs i know that it will go down to11degs I've turned the dial up from 1 to 5 to see if it will lower the temperature if it doesn't I don't know how to get around it , if this doesn't work is there anyone with the knowledge on how to reduce the temperature Rodney
rodneygullick

Post by rodneygullick »

ok you guys I left the white knight larder fridge over night set at 5 it has dropped to 3.5degs it looks as though I am in business so here goes
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

11, 5, whatever. As long as it stuns the yeast it's not at all critical.

The hops are just buoyed up an a bit of CO2.
Bimster

Post by Bimster »

I take it that this yeast stunning doesn't upset them too much if you want to bottle condition with the same yeast afterwards?
James

BJCP Certified Judge
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Bimster wrote:I take it that this yeast stunning doesn't upset them too much if you want to bottle condition with the same yeast afterwards?
Actually, done properly, it helps. You can drop the bulk of the yeast out ever so slightly early, bottle up, condition for a week or two. I get a nicely conditioned beer, a very small amount of sediment. If you want to get all technical, get a microscope out and do a yeast cell count (I've never done it!) to convince yourself there is enough yeast. For the small amount of bottling I do this is my main method.
Bimster

Post by Bimster »

Sounds like a plan to me. Will try this later this week then.
James

BJCP Certified Judge
rodneygullick

Post by rodneygullick »

took it out of the fridge today all the hops on the top had gone racked it off in bottles and a barrel , and there it was stuck to the bottom like s--t to a blanket ,thank you Roger and P Modes
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

You're brewing like a pro Rodney :)
rodneygullick

Post by rodneygullick »

after putting my dry hops in and leaving for a week then switching the chiller on how long do I need to leave fermenter in cool box @ aprox 6 to 11 degrees before racking off
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

I've just done this is a very heavily dry hopped (pellets) APA. I put it in my freezer for a few hours and left it overnight with the freezer switched off. Then I kegged it using my tea strainer hop filter (in another post) Worked a treat. Crystal clear beer into the keg and no floaty bits.
cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.