Training for BJCP Exam

Anything and everything about beer and brewing it.
Capn Ahab

Training for BJCP Exam

Post by Capn Ahab »

Phil, Steve C and anyone else interested:

I reckon we should begin this soon and am happy to buy the first set of beers. I'm just going to go with the first three categories: 1. Light Lager 2. Pilsner 3. Euro Amber Lager + Czech Dark and Amber Lagers (if we can source them) as they are going to be part of the rewrite of the guidelines.

Questions:
1. Who else is interested and wants to attend? From the exam list the following people are based in Bristol AFAIK
Marta Tazewell
Heather Tait
Steve Wilcox
Jonny Mills
Do we invite them? I don't mind if people not doing the exam want to come along as long as they don't come just to get hammered and talk bollocks.

2. How many of each bottle? I reckon roughly one 500 ml or two 330 ml between 4/5 people should be about right, but happy to take advice on this.
Eat sh*t or die trying
PMowdes

Re: Training for BJCP Exam

Post by PMowdes »

Count me in. I'm happy for other people to attend and can try to get hold of Jonny.
60 percent of the time it works every time.
PMowdes

Post by PMowdes »

Seems to be some interest from the non club folk that have registered. Karen W, Jonny M, Steve P.
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

Cool. We also need to work out a suitable day/night. Sunday evenings prob work for me.

Can you try and get those interested to firm up Phil? It would be good if we could all communicate via the forum or similar...
Eat sh*t or die trying
SamTait

Post by SamTait »

Had spoken to people about running the tasting course myself, so if you need a hand ...
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

Have just spoken to Phil.
We propose to get firm commitments at BCB on thursday and with a follow up forum post. We also propose that those who want to do it make a financial commitment (deposit) to enable purchase of the beers. Once we have firm numbers, phil has agreed to investigate pricing through a range of suppliers. We will then set up some dates and venues for the tastings. Thanks Sam for the offer of running some sessions, that is most welcome. I am happy to host some events and hopefully others will be too.
cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

I'll point out here that Sam Tait is planning an exam prep course to start in the autumn. He'll get a Siebel kit as part of this.

You don't have to take his course, and are free to do stuff on your own, but I thought I'd mention that it's out there. And he will likely be more than happy for some help.

And you should have just got a lengthy email from me about the exam.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

Capn Ahab wrote:Phil, Steve C and anyone else interested:

I reckon we should begin this soon and am happy to buy the first set of beers. I'm just going to go with the first three categories: 1. Light Lager 2. Pilsner 3. Euro Amber Lager + Czech Dark and Amber Lagers (if we can source them) as they are going to be part of the rewrite of the guidelines.

Questions:
1. Who else is interested and wants to attend? From the exam list the following people are based in Bristol AFAIK
Marta Tazewell
Heather Tait
Steve Wilcox
Jonny Mills
Do we invite them? I don't mind if people not doing the exam want to come along as long as they don't come just to get hammered and talk bollocks.
There's a lot more people from Bristol on the list than that. Some of the Small Bar, Beer Emporium and Brew Dog staff for example...I count 17 people based in Bristol who will get seats on my list.

Capn Ahab wrote: 2. How many of each bottle? I reckon roughly one 500 ml or two 330 ml between 4/5 people should be about right, but happy to take advice on this.
I figure on 100ml per person as a reasonable sample.
Ali

BJCP National Judge

PMowdes

Post by PMowdes »

alikocho wrote:I'll point out here that Sam Tait is planning an exam prep course to start in the autumn. He'll get a Siebel kit as part of this.

You don't have to take his course, and are free to do stuff on your own, but I thought I'd mention that it's out there. And he will likely be more than happy for some help.

Cheers Ali

We had no idea that Sam was planning anything until recently.

Totally happy to help out. I have a copy of the classic styles list and was going to see if I can get some quotes / discount from some bottle shops.
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

PMowdes wrote:
alikocho wrote:I'll point out here that Sam Tait is planning an exam prep course to start in the autumn. He'll get a Siebel kit as part of this.

Cheers Ali

We had no idea that Sam was planning anything until recently.

Totally happy to help out. I have a copy of the classic styles list and was going to see if I can get some quotes / discount from some bottle shops.
Some of those classic styles are going to change....
Ali

BJCP National Judge