Storage of grain

Anything and everything about beer and brewing it.
TomAdam

Storage of grain

Post by TomAdam »

My house is really damp, so I'd like to store my grain in an airtight container. I have been looking at the big blue containers you get with a metal clip, but I'm not sure what size I'd need to store 25kg. Looks like 30, 50, 100 and 150L are available. Any suggestions?
I_used_to_brew

Re: Storage of grain

Post by I_used_to_brew »

TomAdam wrote:My house is really damp, so I'd like to store my grain in an airtight container. I have been looking at the big blue containers you get with a metal clip, but I'm not sure what size I'd need to store 25kg. Looks like 30, 50, 100 and 150L are available. Any suggestions?
One litre of crushed pale malt weighs approximately 500g. :) I use a 60 litre bucket and a sack of malt flies in.
vacant

Post by vacant »

Wilko's sell an 80 litre storage container with lid for £7 which you could probably fit a sack into. Wouldn't be totally airtight but the amount of moisture transfer would be minimal. If worried, tape the lid or dump a spoonful of Calcium Chloride in the bottom.
When a man is tired of beer, he is tired of life; for there is in beer all that life can afford
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

We discussed some options on storing grain a while back viewtopic.php?f=5&t=175
TomAdam

Post by TomAdam »

The Wilko's option is very cheap, but I think something that is taller would work better for me given my lack of storage space. I have spotted these: http://www.dvcontainers.co.uk/product.asp?pid=70. They look perfect, but are second hand so I'm going to check if they know what was previously stored in them and how much they would be to ship here. Would anyone else be interested in some?
TomAdam

Post by TomAdam »

Well it looks like they will be just over £8 delivered to Bristol if I get a whole pallet (27). They have been previously used to store bagged pharmaceuticals, so I think a wash with PBW should clean them up enough for grain storage.

They will deliver them via standard post for about £12. Best price for them new I have found so far is £20, but I'd have to travel a bit to pick them up. I'm going to hang on till the end of next week and if there is no interest by then just get some for myself.
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

I will take 4 if they are £8
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
TomAdam

Post by TomAdam »

I have moved this over to the For Sale forum.