Brewing with mineral water

Anything and everything about beer and brewing it.
monty1

Brewing with mineral water

Post by monty1 »

Anyone tried it? Any success? Is there a point?
squid88

Re: Brewing with mineral water

Post by squid88 »

I brew with asda edan falls water, have no issues. Water is hard in Kingwood haven't bought filter or RO water unit, plus test kit & salts but may do as works out cheaper in long run.
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

monty1 wrote:Anyone tried it? Any success? Is there a point?
I've started using Ashbeck from tesco because I don't have space for an RO unit.

The point is that you have water with no chlorine/chloramine and low carbonates and other minerals. Basically it's a blank canvas that you can add your own brewing salts to.

As long as you don't go overboard with the gypsum or calcium chloride it should result in cleaner beer.
Eat sh*t or die trying
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

I've used the Asda eden falls and the Tesco Ashbeck (which is perfect to use with Starsan btw). I've brewed APA styles mostly and I've not used any water treatment. Not noticed any problems, I'm not saying that it could not have been improved by treating, just that I don't bother.

I only use it when Bristol water are hacking the pipework around in Bristol and they treat the water with enough Chlorine to make it stink. Seriously, you turn the tap on and it smells like bleach.

Try it and see :)
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

RogerP wrote:Not noticed any problems, I'm not saying that it could not have been improved by treating, just that I don't bother.
I think as long as your mash ph is Ok and there's no chlorine, there's no point messing around with water treatment.
Eat sh*t or die trying