Dry hopping

Anything and everything about beer and brewing it.
TomAdam

Dry hopping

Post by TomAdam »

Tonight I have been bottling an IIPA that I dry hopped. This is only my second brew and I'm still trying to get my process sorted. The first beer I made was dry hopped too, and I had exactly the same problem - lots of beer I can't get out of the fermenter because the syphon keeps blocking with the hops. It also bubbles lots during this process, which can't be good for the beer.

I'm thinking for other reasons I need to get rid of my autosyphon. Either I lack the skill to use it, or its a bit crap. All my problems seem to revolve around hops and fluid transfer. I'm getting a hop filter to help with the issues I have in the boiler, but I'm not sure how to get around my dry hop problems. Can you dry hop in a bag? Is there some kind of filter you can add to the end of a syphon? Do I need to get rid of the autosyphon?
Capn Ahab

Re: Dry hopping

Post by Capn Ahab »

Dry hop in a mesh bag or a pair of tights weighed down with stainless steel washers or similar. Problem solved.
Eat sh*t or die trying
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

mark is correct
lidl sometimes sell laundry bags which are ideal
alternatively use pellets which will settle out after a few days.
cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

+1 for use T90 pellets. Lardy sells a nice racking cane filter.
SamTait

Post by SamTait »

Pellets all the way - restricts your choice of hops a bit, but I get FAR more aroma from pellets than from bagged whole cone hops
TomAdam

Post by TomAdam »

Thanks everyone. Looks like I am goimg to have to invest in some hop bags or start using pellets. After watching Eric and Ariel using an autosyphon this weekend it's clearly both a lack of skill and the hops causing my issues. I'm going to have to do a bit of practice with water I think.
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

when you dry hop with pellets you can make a sludge with boiled water before adding. I find this works well and gets the hops ready to mix with the beer quick.
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
TomAdam

Post by TomAdam »

So I made my new beer using hop bags for the boil. I sucked a load of irish moss up the syphon after the end cap fell off, but other than that it worked perfectly - no loss this time. I have some pellets to do the dry hopping so will see how that part goes tomorrow night. Thanks for the advice.