steralizing bottles

Anything and everything about beer and brewing it.
rodneygullick

steralizing bottles

Post by rodneygullick »

normally i only sterilize 4 bottles to do this i use oxy+i put 1 scoup into 2 liters of hot water (question) if i wanted to do say 40bottles do i do the same as the 4 bottles this would involve a lot of oxy plus has anyone any other sugestions Rodney
steve crawshaw

Re: steralizing bottles

Post by steve crawshaw »

here's what i do:

rinse the bottles as soon as you have emptied them.
get a chip shop vinegar plastic bottle, fill it with thick bleach.
squirt some bleach (~5ml) into each bottle.
fill to the rim with hot water
soak for >1 hour
bottle brush on the end of a cordless drill at low speed (brewers droop sell good sized ones, chop the loop on the handle off)
empty the bleach solution
rinse with hot water
drain on bottle tree until dry - bottle trees are well worth the money.
cap each bottle with aluminium foil
store

you can now bottle straight into these bottles without sterilizing (i.e. star san) any further. Just remove the foil and fill.

cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
Jeltz69

Post by Jeltz69 »

Like Steve I wash after use I then clip the old cap back on to prevent any kind of crap getting in, on brew day I rinse with videne using one of these.
rodneygullick

Post by rodneygullick »

I always use star san as a sanitizer after I have used the oxi plus as a sterilizer before bottling I always sanitize after sterilizing so if I do as you suggest would it still be all right to use the star san then cover with silver paper I assume it is 5ml and not .5ml thick bleach I will have to use ( ps ) my wife bought me a bottle tree for my birthday
vacant

Post by vacant »

I use a two litre jug of 1.25ml/l videne solution to sanitise cleaned bottles. It only needs 20 seconds contact time. I pour a cupful of solution into a bottle and shake. Repeat until the jug is empty, then shake the bottles as I drain back into the jug. Then on to the next batch of bottles.

Before videne I'd fill my boiler with 5ml/l bleach solution and submerge all the bottles in it for 20 minutes. Experiment with how little water you need for rinsing by just filling a rinsed bottle with water and making sure you can't taste bleach.

Provided my bottles are clean and crud-free after a hot water rinse, I don't go overboard sanitising since I'm going to be putting an alcohol solution in soon anyway.
When a man is tired of beer, he is tired of life; for there is in beer all that life can afford