What style is this?

Anything and everything about beer and brewing it.
SandyM

What style is this?

Post by SandyM »

I meant to ask this at the last BBC but never got around to it. This is my most recent brew which I loosely based on Ali's black IPA. I have changed it a fair bit though to fit with what I had in stock and what I had wanted to experiment with.

Fermentables:
4kg Maris Otter
500g Munich
200g Caramalt
150g Caraffa special 3
200g Smoked Malt
100g Torrified Wheat

Hop schedule
20g Bramling Cross 6.8 60 minutes
20g Styrian Celeia 4.3 30 minutes
30g Centenial 11 20 min
50g Chinook 13.6 10 min
50g Citra 13.8 5 min
50g Amarillo 10.7 steeped 30 min at 80C
50g Chinook Dry hopped 1 week in secondary
50g Green Bullet 13.6 Dry hopped 1 week in secondary

What style is this? Does it still count as an IPA or is it closer to an American pale?
Burns stuff. And makes beer. Usually not at the same time.
I_used_to_brew

Re: What style is this?

Post by I_used_to_brew »

What's the colour(EBC) and bitterness (EBU)?
SandyM

Post by SandyM »

Well my brew app reckons 32 EBC but i think its much darker than that, more like 100 or so. IBUs are 67.
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

You don't give info on volume, but....

Hop schedule looks like an IPA to me. It's probably going to be brown rather than black (I don't see how you'd get 100 EBC with that grain bill) - for reference Dogfish Head make an excellent India Brown Ale (http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/th ... wn-ale.htm). You could spin this as a Brown IPA or as a hoppy American Brown Ale. Given the smoked malt, I'd lean towards the latter in entering a competition with it.

Bear in mind that beer in a fermenter will look darker than in a glass...

To be honest though, numbers is one thing, tasting is another.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
SandyM

Post by SandyM »

Cheers, 100 is probably an exageration I agree. More like 50 ebc I guess. Forgot volume and OG - volume 30l boil ending up as 24l in the fermenter. OG was 1.050
Do you think there will be many American brown ales in a competition?
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

SandyM wrote:Do you think there will be many American brown ales in a competition?

Possibly not, but that's class 10 which includes APA's (if the class 10 entries are collapsed into one group) so there will be a fair few of them!
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

Ok. Gravity is on the low side for an IPA, so I'd put it as a hoppy Amber/Brown Ale. The smoke just screams at me to get it away from the IPA name-tag. You just wouldn't expect it in the style.

I get 16.7 SRM (approx 35 EBC), which puts it on the top end of Amber and just below Brown. This is of course a calculation and highly subjective. 25 SRM will be closer to black, but likely still have browish tints.

Would there be many American Browns in a competition? Depends on the competition, but there will be some in pretty much any (I've got a Brown and an Amber lined up). It's also worth thinking about the fact that it's most likely that American Ales will be a single category when things get collapsed (this seems to confuse people at the moment). Anyway, entering a competition is about feedback as much as anything else.

If you really want to know where I'd enter it in a competition though, you're going to have to let me sample it. You can't evaluate beer without said beer in your hand (this is why judging is fun!).
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
SandyM

Post by SandyM »

Thanks guys, don't worry you will certainly get to sample this one although not for a while as it is still in primary.
SandyM

Post by SandyM »

Deleted due to accidental double post!
Last edited by SandyM on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
SandyM

Post by SandyM »

Well I stuck it into secondary yesterday as i'm about to go away for work for a few days and I measured the gravity as 1.004! I've never had it so low before. I think it must be because of the mash temp. I meant to mash at 65 but out of habit set the boiler to 70 so the mash started at 67. As I wanted a cooler mash to get lots of fermenables out I didn't insulate the mash tun like I normally do and at the end of the 90 minute mash the temp was 63. Seems like I must have got loads of sugars out. It does mean this is going to end up pretty strong though, it's already 6.1% and I think it might get a couple extra .1% yet.

That Nottingham yeast is really something, 6.1% in 5 days! So do you think that affects the style? The colour is indeed lighter than I had thought but still probably about 40-45EBC, definitely looking brown, and it tastes righteously hoppy and very tasty (although I don't think 'tasty' is a heading in any style guide!). I think i'm going to be happy with this one.