New home brew shop in Bristol

Anything and everything about beer and brewing it.
LoveToBrew

Re: New home brew shop in Bristol

Post by LoveToBrew »

Don't why I thought it was Saturday. I do late night opening on a Thursday, until 8pm. This may change though, as so far, not many people seem to want to come in late.
Jeltz69

Post by Jeltz69 »

I popped into the shop a few weeks back and bought a couple of items, Simon's a nice chat I hope he does well. Prices were good, handy to be able to park behind for free and although clearly a newly set up business he had a fair amount of stock in, even some grain!

I met Rob, the Malt Miller, at an event in the Spring, another top bloke, so I hope that they can work something out. It would be great to see some of his stock lines available locally.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Is Simon the chap that used to work at the Keynsham hbs?
Jeltz69

Post by Jeltz69 »

I doubt it, he said was working for Future Publishing until recently.
LoveToBrew

Post by LoveToBrew »

Jeltz69 wrote:I doubt it, he said was working for Future Publishing until recently.
I left Future Publishing coming up for six years ago, been doing all sorts since! But no, I've not worked at Keynsham. Perhaps you are thinking of the Manger of the Keynsham shop, Martin, who also lives in Brislington?
LoveToBrew

Post by LoveToBrew »

Had a long and very enjoyable meeting with Rob Neale today (the malt miller). I will hopefully be stocking a range of his products in the next few weeks. If you could give me an idea of what sort of grains, hops and so on you are most interested and the sort of volumes you normally purchase, it would really help.

I'm interested in stocking the liquid yeasts, but need to get some refrigeration setup first and would need to know that they are going to be required, due to the shelf life on them. Once I get a fridge in, all the dry yeasts will be stored in there, as well. It's unlikely the dry yeast has been refrigerated since it left the factory, but I may as well do all I can to keep it in as good a condition as possible.
Jeltz69

Post by Jeltz69 »

Maris Otter I buy in 25kg sacks.

Crystal and dark crystal I buy in kilo bags maybe 2-3 at a time

Wheat malt, chocolate, black and so on I'd buy in 500g bags.

Hops I have a preference for traditional English style hops such as Challenger, Fuggles, EKG, WVG, First Gold, Bramling Cross.

Not used any liquid yeasts but I would like primarily to try white labs Burton WLP 023, and the other ale yeasts WLP 002 & WLP 005.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Depends on the prices. If you can get close to Rob's prices I would happily buy locally in preference because I save postage and can pick up at my convenience.

25 kg sacks of crushed pale malt, possibly half sacks. A decent range of hops preferably kept in a freezer.
PMowdes

Post by PMowdes »

I'm with Roger on that one.

I'd prefer to buy darker malts uncrushed so that they keep a bit longer. a good local supply of fresh liquid yeast would also be a bonus but i understand the problems with stocking it.

If you could get Videne (iodine solution) and sizable bottles of Peracetic acid that would be awesome.

Cheers

Phil
60 percent of the time it works every time.
squid88

Post by squid88 »

Do you have malt mill ? I like the idea of popping over to pick up local crushed fresh malt.