New home brew shop in Bristol

Anything and everything about beer and brewing it.
I_used_to_brew

Re: New home brew shop in Bristol

Post by I_used_to_brew »

LoveToBrew wrote:Out of interest, what do you pay for 1kg of malt including postage? Based on Royal mail's prices, I would have thought it would be at least £3 postage.
But nobody would buy 1kg and have it posted. Most people would put a reasonable order together, then it's typically £7.50 for up to 30kg courier charge. So that could be a 25kg sack of pale (around £21.50) and you take the order up to 30kg with the bits and bobs.
Bimster

Post by Bimster »

RogerP wrote:
LoveToBrew wrote:Out of interest, what do you pay for 1kg of malt including postage? Based on Royal mail's prices, I would have thought it would be at least £3 postage.
But nobody would buy 1kg and have it posted. Most people would put a reasonable order together, then it's typically £7.50 for up to 30kg courier charge. So that could be a 25kg sack of pale (around £21.50) and you take the order up to 30kg with the bits and bobs.
I have ordered small amounts from the Malt Miller in the past. I deem this as reasonable based on storage space and my finances at the time.

To have the option of nipping to Brislington for 1Kg of something is great.
James

BJCP Certified Judge
squid88

Post by squid88 »

Your running a brick and mortar store with utility / rent overhead. I see no issue with these prices most will be store click and collect (I imagine) or emergency I need x by the weekend can't get it online will pop in Saturday morning. People will always be able to get it cheaper online / direct in large group buys. I wouldn't worry your not competing with that. Pricing yourself at cost is quick way to bankruptcy.