mash problems

Anything and everything about beer and brewing it.
rodneygullick

mash problems

Post by rodneygullick »

hi guys I have had a lot of trouble with stuck mashes over my last 2 brews I have a feeling that the malt is ground too fine would it be an idea to put marbles in the mash to help break it up ?
vacant

Re: mash problems

Post by vacant »

I don't understand how marbles could "unground" your grain. What's the theory here?
When a man is tired of beer, he is tired of life; for there is in beer all that life can afford
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

I don't think that would help at all. The usual advice is to use rice hulls or oat husk, but I think you have tried that before without good results. In my experience the maris otter malt from warminster always lauters well so I suspect that grain size is not the issue (unless you are using a lot of wheat \ rye?). Are you using a false bottom with adequate surface area? I would recommend the stainless perforated plate like mr. lard's. I have a spare mash tun using this design that you are welcome to borrow to see if this fixes it - that would eliminate the grain size from the problem.

cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
rodneygullick

Post by rodneygullick »

paul I thought that the marbles would allow the hot liquor more freedom to pass thro ( it was only a thought )
rodneygullick

Post by rodneygullick »

Steve I have a 11 inch dia s/steel false bottom with hundreds of 2mm holes in it 2 inches off of the bottom of my tun I am brewing tomorrow lets hope I don't get a stuck mash
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

How are you doughing in exactly?

Malt first and then water can result in a malt 'cement' forming near the manifold/false bottom no matter how well you stir.

Plenty of water first and then start introducing the malt lessens the chance of this happening.
vacant

Post by vacant »

I kept the net curtain from my BIAB days. I've not had a stuck mash but a couple of times with previous mash tuns I've had the filter come loose which let grain through.

If that happens, I tip any grainy runnings back into the mash tun, line the boiler with the net curtain, secure with rope around the rim, and tip the mash tun contents in. Untie/gather up the curtain, pull out and let it drain. If it's the first sparge then lower the bag in the mash tun and do the second sparge.

BIAB is easy, everyone who knows how to make tea from a tea bag could do it.

I learnt from this thread
When a man is tired of beer, he is tired of life; for there is in beer all that life can afford
rodneygullick

Post by rodneygullick »

Hi Roger i put all the water in first then the malt
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

rodneygullick wrote:Hi Roger i put all the water in first then the malt
Brave!

I'm usually on the wrong side of sanity when mashing, never trust if it will all fit so I do water and malt simultaneously.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

vacant wrote: <snip>

BIAB is easy, everyone who knows how to make tea from a tea bag could do it.

I learnt from this thread
I think Mr Lard is working on a shiny version of BIAB from the pictures he's leaked on twitter.