Re-usign yeast and cold break

Anything and everything about beer and brewing it.
squid88

Re-usign yeast and cold break

Post by squid88 »

Hi guys
I did a Munich helles style lager today. I used some ice before the plate chiller and got down to 16c (22c garden tap temp) and had alot cold break will i be able to use the yeast slurry for the next brew or will i have mess about and wash it for my next beer.
steve crawshaw

Re: Re-usign yeast and cold break

Post by steve crawshaw »

I would wash it if i were you.
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

What is that a picture of?
Eat sh*t or die trying
EckersKlein

Post by EckersKlein »

I've successfully reused yeast with cold break without washing. Not to say I'm doing it right, but there doesn't seem to be an immediately obvious penalty. What sort of effect would the residual cold break have on the yeast, anyway?
squid88

Post by squid88 »

Just the amount carboy really full of snot looking stuff wondered if effect larger yeast that bottom feeding.
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

if it was me i would collect half a pot of yeast top up with the same beer. Give it a dam good shake half an hour before use and let it settle for 30 mins by which time all the dead sh**y bits (trub etc) would of fallen out. then chuck that on the next beer being careful to leave most of the trub behind..

it might not be the best way but it saves mucking about washing
squid88

Post by squid88 »

Thanks guys in 10 days time I will try it 2nd gen WLP 860 been very strong so far