flying dog raging bitch

If you've had a particularly good commercial beer and you want to tell the world about it, please post your review here. You can also use this forum to warn us of beers to avoid.
steve crawshaw

flying dog raging bitch

Post by steve crawshaw »

a belgian IPA(!) at Beer'd. 8.3% but doesn't taste that strong. Very drinkable and not bitter. A very interesting beer, I would be interested in trying to make something like this. It was my first visit to Beer'd and I was quite impressed. They sell thirds of pints so easily able to sample a few beers.
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
I_used_to_brew

Re: flying dog raging bitch

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Blatan copy of a Belgin beer, see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=122&p=509&hilit=Bitch#p509 for details
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

RogerP wrote:Blatan copy of a Belgin beer, see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=122&p=509&hilit=Bitch#p509 for details
And does that matter?
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

alikocho wrote:
RogerP wrote:Blatan copy of a Belgin beer, see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=122&p=509&hilit=Bitch#p509 for details

And does that matter?
Of course it does. Nothing wrong with copying, they have even aped the artwork quite well, but claiming it as original is dull and wrong.

Fairly typical of some developing countries :-)
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

RogerP wrote:
alikocho wrote:

And does that matter?
Of course it does. Nothing wrong with copying, they have even aped the artwork quite well, but claiming it as original is dull and wrong.

Fairly typical of some developing countries :-)
Where do Flying Dog ever claim that they were the original producers of this sort of beer? And is it even a clone? In any event, it's there beer and they can brew what they like.

As to the artwork, the Raging Bitch packaging is in step with the rest of Flying Dog's Gonzo inspired portfolio.

I think you're making an issue out of something that needn't be an issue. And which is frankly irrelevant to the quality of the beer in the bottle.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
BlueGiantSteve

Post by BlueGiantSteve »

steve crawshaw wrote:a belgian IPA(!) at Beer'd. 8.3% but doesn't taste that strong. Very drinkable and not bitter. A very interesting beer, I would be interested in trying to make something like this. It was my first visit to Beer'd and I was quite impressed. They sell thirds of pints so easily able to sample a few beers.
They've been doing better on the beer front lately. Was getting annoyed with the 6-8 hand pumps filled with 3 Bath Ales beers and one cider.

They had a Tiny Rebel IPA on Saturday which was good. I tweeted about it and someone replied that Beerd were the only place in Bristol worth visiting for "craft" beer. It annoyed me quite a lot.

They really could do with some staff that know at least something about beer.
Spouting nonsense at http://www.bluegiantbeer.co.uk
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

BlueGiantSteve wrote: They really could do with some staff that know at least something about beer.
I took an ilkley pale ale back because it tasted tainted. It was quite obvious to me and my mate. The "manager" rebutted this, but did offer me a replacement. He implied that it was the "flowery" taste I was objecting to. I accept that taste is subjective and not everyone can detect certain tastes, but I was surprised that something this obvious could be missed by someone running a "craft" beer bar.

I still think its a good place though.

steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
BlueGiantSteve

Post by BlueGiantSteve »

Agreed. I live 5 minutes away and go there regularly. Pizza is good too. I just wish they'd stuck to calling themselves a bar instead of a "craft beer" bar because they're going to be put to shame by BrewDog and Euston/Bristol Tap (and already are to an extent by Robin Hood, Coslton Yard, Tuns etc on the beer front).
Spouting nonsense at http://www.bluegiantbeer.co.uk