Mikkeller Single Hop IPA

If you've had a particularly good commercial beer and you want to tell the world about it, please post your review here. You can also use this forum to warn us of beers to avoid.
alikocho

Mikkeller Single Hop IPA

Post by alikocho »

I've had a couple of these now, and they're definitely a good way to see the characteristics of a given hop, and they expose the ones that don't work so well on their own. Corks has a few of them, and he's done 19 to date I believe.

Intrigued as to what he'd used as the consistent base beer, I asked Mikkel, and he was kind enough to tell me:

OG 1.065
ABV 6.9%

67% pilsner malt
11% Cara-Crystal
11% Munich II
11% Flaked Oats

Yeast is American ale (Wyeast 1056/WLP099)

Hops 60min, 15min, whirlpool and dry.
About 100IBU.

Mash temp 149-150F

------------

The reviews (mainly of the hop, not the base beer):

Amarillo - Orange/tangerine aroma, orange flavour holds up well, but seems a little one-dimensional.
Centennial - Blackcurranty aroma with hints of citrus. Fruity, slightly sweet flavour, fairly full mouthfeel, a little cloying on the palette.
Nelson Sauvin - Grape and gooseberry aromas, with some floral notes. Fruity and floral flavour, a little cloying and sweet. Lingering bitterness. Noticeably bitter in comparison to others in the series.
Simcoe - Pine, resinous aroma. Taste follows suit. Clean finish.

-------------

Others might like to post their thoughts on the beers too, and maybe we could even get together and have a big tasting session.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
Capn Ahab

Re: Mikkeller Single Hop IPA

Post by Capn Ahab »

Cooooool. Interesting grain bill!

Centennial: - didn't get any blackcurrant, but lots of tangerine and candied peel. Very sweet aroma that reminds me of stollen. And yes, cloying and too sweet on the palate (I found this with The Kernel's single hop centennial beers too).

Simcoe: - piney, resiny, everything that simcoe is supposed to be, except interestingly (excitingly?) there was nothing to confuse it with.

Conclusion: Pretty good beers, but these hops do seem to need the support of other varieties to add complexity and more interest. However, as a way of getting to know how certain hops behave, they are excellent.
Eat sh*t or die trying