Overall awards?

Local and National competitions, including the NHC and the Welsh National.
alikocho

Overall awards?

Post by alikocho »

I've been thinking about some of the awards for the competition, and wish to sound out opinion. Should the competition offer some overall awards? One would be an overall champion (like the Ninkasi Award at the US NHC) for the brewer who scores the most points (6 for 1st, 4 for 2nd, 2 for 3rd)

Others might be for the best mead f cider across the mead and cider categories. Let me know what you think.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
Taz Ales
Site Admin

Re: Overall awards?

Post by Taz Ales »

I can understand having a best in show award for all 3, but in my opinion "champion brewer" doesn't really mean an awful lot because it could just go to whoever enters the most beers. Obviously some of those beers need to be good enough to gain points, but it's pretty likely that it ends up being a rich person's prize.

Gaining awards for multiple entries will be its own reward I'd think.
Taz... or Chris. It's up to you.
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

Thanks for the reply. It was an idea, that I wanted to sound people out about. There is the issue that an overall brewer prize becomes as much the product of who can afford to enter the most...
Ali

BJCP National Judge

I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

My honest repy is that a beer competition should be a beer competition. There are plenty of cider and perry competitions throughout the year judged by other ciderists or experienced cider judges. As for mead, cyser, pyment and all the other abominations they should not be in a beer competition either. Calling class 28A a cider is just a horrible american abuse of the good name of cider let alone 28C, words fail me.

So, should there be an overall (who wins the most categories) award - no, irrespective of whether you include cider and the other 'drinks' or not.
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

trunkster wrote:My honest repy is that a beer competition should be a beer competition. There are plenty of cider and perry competitions throughout the year judged by other ciderists or experienced cider judges. As for mead, cyser, pyment and all the other abominations they should not be in a beer competition either. Calling class 28A a cider is just a horrible american abuse of the good name of cider let alone 28C, words fail me.

So, should there be an overall (who wins the most categories) award - no, irrespective of whether you include cider and the other 'drinks' or not.
I take your point here, and maybe it's better just to keep this as beer. I'll just adjust the website so that only beer categories are open.
Ali

BJCP National Judge

periolus

Post by periolus »

[quote="Trunky"] As for mead, cyser, pyment and all the other abominations they should not be in a beer competition either.

Maybe Mead shouldn't be in a beer competition, but it isn't an abomination - it is what we are all destined to nonchalantly sip in heaven between kegs of real AG beer ; )
FV1: EMPTY
FV2: EMPTY
Conditioning: NOWT
Drinking:Countdown Conundrum - Best Bitter; Haka! The Herald - Pacific IPA
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

I don't like mead and calling it an abomination was quite polite, you should hear what I say about wheat beers.....
periolus

Post by periolus »

Do i get kicked out on my first day for saying that Wheat Beers are lush?
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

Let's take this elsewhere, huh?
Ali

BJCP National Judge

periolus

Post by periolus »

Sorry.