Judges required

Local and National competitions, including the NHC and the Welsh National.

Are you going to the NHC?

As a Judge
63%
As a Steward
No votes
As a Punter
No votes
Undecided
13%
Not going
25%

Total votes: 8

Capn Ahab

Re: Judges required

Post by Capn Ahab »

Can I also just say that from where I'm sitting it looks like a whole bunch of people in Bristol did the BJCP course without considering the implications of being a qualified beer judge. If you did the course and cannot be bothered to judge at competitions, you expose yourself as at best naively selfish, and at worst deceitful. You all took the course for free, Ali gave up his time for free; I think the least any of you judges could do is show a little respect for the effort he put in and get your lazy hides to Oxford - including people who failed the tasting exam (naming no names Matt).

As for the people who took the course and then backed out of the exam, it looks remarkably like you abused the trust of someone who was essentially doing you a massive favour. I met a couple from London who did precisely that last year and they actually acted like they'd scored a big win. Sort it out cocksuckers.

And, no I have not been put up to this and wrote this without seeing Ali's comment about only having 15 judges.
Eat sh*t or die trying
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Capn Ahab wrote:Can I also just say that from where I'm sitting it looks like a whole bunch of people in Bristol did the BJCP course without considering the implications of being a qualified beer judge. If you did the course and cannot be bothered to judge at competitions, you expose yourself as at best naively selfish, and at worst deceitful. You all took the course for free, Ali gave up his time for free; I think the least any of you judges could do is show a little respect for the effort he put in and get your lazy hides to Oxford - including people who failed the tasting exam (naming no names Matt).

As for the people who took the course and then backed out of the exam, it looks remarkably like you abused the trust of someone who was essentially doing you a massive favour. I met a couple from London who did precisely that last year and they actually acted like they'd scored a big win. Sort it out ***********.

And, no I have not been put up to this and wrote this without seeing Ali's comment about only having 15 judges.
I think the fact that only four *********** have voted in the poll shows that the forum is not read by very many ***********. Has it gone out to the other *********** on the Bristol mailing list? (the recipient *********** on Ali's original email were hidden, so I don't know).
Last edited by I_used_to_brew on Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

RogerP wrote:
Capn Ahab wrote:Can I also just say that from where I'm sitting it looks like a whole bunch of people in Bristol did the BJCP course without considering the implications of being a qualified beer judge. If you did the course and cannot be bothered to judge at competitions, you expose yourself as at best naively selfish, and at worst deceitful. You all took the course for free, Ali gave up his time for free; I think the least any of you judges could do is show a little respect for the effort he put in and get your lazy hides to Oxford - including people who failed the tasting exam (naming no names Matt).

As for the people who took the course and then backed out of the exam, it looks remarkably like you abused the trust of someone who was essentially doing you a massive favour. I met a couple from London who did precisely that last year and they actually acted like they'd scored a big win. Sort it out cocksuckers.

I think the fact that only four cocksuckers have voted in the poll shows that the forum is not read by very many cocksuckers. Has it gone out to the other cocksuckers on the Bristol mailing list? (the recipient cocksuckers on Ali's original email were hidden, so I don't know).
The email invitation to judge was sent all who did the BJCP course, aside from those who had already signed up to judge (we all get enough email already). Not a single person from Bristol has stepped up since the last email was sent.

The Polish guys are coming though, and some of the Irish replied that they might make it over.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

alikocho wrote:
RogerP wrote:

As for the people who took the course and then backed out of the exam, it looks remarkably like you abused the trust of someone who was essentially doing you a massive favour. I met a couple from London who did precisely that last year and they actually acted like they'd scored a big win. Sort it out ***********.

I think the fact that only four *********** have voted in the poll shows that the forum is not read by very many cocksuckers. Has it gone out to the other *********** on the Bristol mailing list? (the recipient *********** on Ali's original email were hidden, so I don't know).
The email invitation to judge was sent all who did the BJCP course, aside from those who had already signed up to judge (we all get enough email already). Not a single person from Bristol has stepped up since the last email was sent.

The Polish guys are coming though, and some of the Irish replied that they might make it over.
Maybe everyone is just busy or on holiday or something.
Last edited by I_used_to_brew on Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

RogerP wrote:
Maybe everyone is just busy or on holiday or something.
That's a possibility, but nobody responded to emails to say that that was the case. So I just don't know. What I do know is that I need more judges for the competition.
Ali

BJCP National Judge

Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

RogerP wrote:

I think the fact that only four cocksuckers have voted in the poll shows that the forum is not read by very many cocksuckers. Has it gone out to the other cocksuckers on the Bristol mailing list? (the recipient cocksuckers on Ali's original email were hidden, so I don't know).
Did I offend you or something? I wasn't talking directly to you Roger, or suggesting that you actually suck cocks (which you might for all I know - and there's nothing wrong with that!), just vaguely expressing annoyance at how it looks like some people are willing to use the generosity of others and not give anything back. Pretty shabby IMO.

However, I apologise for the inflammatory language used previously.
Eat sh*t or die trying
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

No, I'm not offended, for that to happen I would have to have been interested in what you had to say.

I presumed you were on about people without teeth eating roosters, I used to like a nice capon, but they are no longer available in the UK (some animal welfare issue or other) and I have a full set of natural teeth.
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

Now that's sorted out, could we get back to the original topic...
Ali

BJCP National Judge

Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

RogerP wrote:No, I'm not offended, for that to happen I would have to have been interested in what you had to say.

I presumed you were on about people without teeth eating roosters, I used to like a nice capon, but they are no longer available in the UK (some animal welfare issue or other) and I have a full set of natural teeth.
Well good!

The main point is that judges are needed and I think a fair few Bristol based brewers at least owe it to Ali to make every effort to assist with the competition. I dread to think how many stewards are signed up if only 15 judges are on board...

I take your name is on the list Roger, fine upstanding gent that you are?
Eat sh*t or die trying
vacant

Post by vacant »

There also seems to be a "judge distribution" problem.

Four judges from Bristol (population 428,000) so London (8,174,000) should be supplying 80 judges.

It's probably just holidays and other commitments to blame for a poor supply from Bristol, let's hope regression to the mean will sort it out next year.
When a man is tired of beer, he is tired of life; for there is in beer all that life can afford