BCB Meetings - Beer

BCB meet on the 1st Monday of every month at 8pm in the Royal Navy Volunteer, King Street.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/bristolcraftbrewers/
Bimster

BCB Meetings - Beer

Post by Bimster »

I'm gonna be brave and put forward the idea of a change for the meetings...........

The new venue is much better as a meeting venue but the beer choice does leave a lot to be desired. I must admit to not being particularly fond of the buttery bitter I drank last night!

I think it would be good to come up with some way of sampling the beers earlier in the meeting i.e. throughout the other agenda items rather than leaving them to the end.

This is just a thought I've had and I wonder what other people think and whether there is a solution to this? It may well be that the current format makes the most sense.

Some particularly good home brews last night. Matt's APA and Mark's Saison spring to mind as being very enjoyable ;)
James

BJCP Certified Judge
I_used_to_brew

Re: BCB Meetings - Beer

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Bimster wrote:the beer choice does leave a lot to be desired. I must admit to not being particularly fond of the buttery bitter I drank last night!
Oh dear, that's a shame. But people bring beers for all sorts of reasons and sometimes they want advice on improving their beer, so they can't all be perfect and pleasing to your palate.

I hate wheat beers and pretty much all the sour crap, but I'm not going to try and prevent these being brought along.
Bimster wrote:I think it would be good to come up with some way of sampling the beers earlier in the meeting i.e. throughout the other agenda items rather than leaving them to the end.
I'm pretty sure we've looked at this before and decided to stay as we are. You can't give consideration to a beer whilst discussing agenda items, the beer gets lost.
Taz Ales
Site Admin

Post by Taz Ales »

He meant the beer on tap in the pub.
Taz... or Chris. It's up to you.
Bimster

Post by Bimster »

Yep, I did indeed mean the beer from the bar.

I like the fact people bring in a wide variety of beers. It means I get to try styles that I probably won't brew myself.

I found the choice of one bitter on tap (and it wasn't even a good bitter) poor.

In fact, Colin's bitter was far superior to the one the pub served!
James

BJCP Certified Judge
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Taz Ales wrote:He meant the beer on tap in the pub.
Oooh, I see, I do apologise for getting the wrong end of the stick.

Yeah, it's not the greatest selection is it? If anyone knows the list he can order from (it's an Enterprise Inn) maybe we can suggest some of the better ones to have.

Hobgoblin ran out just as we got there sadly.
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

But some people don't necessarily want feedback on a beer from the group. As I've said before, there's beer for feedback, and there's beer for feedback.

This may mean that some will bring beer just to pass it round...
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

When we moved from the cornubia this was acknowledged as an issue. I'd settle for a better selection of bottled beers if it's not worthwhile to have more than 2 ales on draft. I agree with Roger that it would be difficult to integrate our tastings with the business end of the meetings. However I would say that we could look at how the business end could be minimised (while retaining the learning aspects) to give more time for tasting and possibly opportunity for post meeting ales elsewhere..
cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.