Want some free Proper Job yeast?

BCB meet on the 1st Monday of every month at 8pm in the Royal Navy Volunteer, King Street.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/bristolcraftbrewers/
vacant

Post by vacant »

If interested, bring a small sanitised container to the September BCB meeting to take some slurry.

After a couple of pints of Tribute at the Plough in Wrington on one of the few sunny afternoons last month, the recipe on Jymbo's recipe database suggested using St Austell yeast from a bottle. So I dutifully downed a couple of bottles of Proper Job and tipped the dregs into 1.5 litres wort on a stir plate. Two days later it was frothing near the top of the 2L conical. I pitched 30L into two 25L FVs to leave plenty of head space and after three healthy days and frothing near the top, it's reached 1012 from 1044. Smelling and tasting good from the trial jar.

Bottles were "BBE July 2013" so I assume bottling was July 2012?

Also, I've bought 1Kg Calcium Chloride (to use with/instead of gypsum when I run out of DLS). 80p for 100g if anyone wants some.
When a man is tired of beer, he is tired of life; for there is in beer all that life can afford
I_used_to_brew

Re: Want some free Proper Job yeast?

Post by I_used_to_brew »

I'll grab some yeast please Paul.

Edit : They re-seed the beer for bottling with their primary fermentation yeast (whatever that is)
vacant

Post by vacant »

RogerP wrote:I'll grab some yeast please Paul.

Edit : They re-seed the beer for bottling with their primary fermentation yeast (whatever that is)
OK, I'll be bringing a fair amount though it seems to be extremely fit yeast.

When I found the recipe I had a quick surf, it seemed using a secondary strain for bottle conditioning is much more common on the continent. Anyone know which if any British breweries use a different strain when bottling?

Unless things have changed, St Austell has it's own yeast:

"Roger was reluctant to introduce a Bavarian yeast strain into his brewhouse in case it cross-pollinated with his house culture"
When a man is tired of beer, he is tired of life; for there is in beer all that life can afford
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

I've got some hops about ready to harvest, so I'm keen to make a stab at a normal English bitter, this yeast will do nicely :)
periolus

Post by periolus »

If there is any left over then I would love to try some of this.
FV1: EMPTY
FV2: EMPTY
Conditioning: NOWT
Drinking:Countdown Conundrum - Best Bitter; Haka! The Herald - Pacific IPA
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA
vacant

Post by vacant »

I'll bring in a flask of slurry after bottling that day. When I've done brews back-to-back I used about 200ml of slurry carried over into the next FV. Probably double what was needed according to Mr Malty and this seems to be a strong yeast anyway so a small bit of slurry should do the job.