September Meeting

BCB meet on the 1st Monday of every month at 8pm in the Royal Navy Volunteer, King Street.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/bristolcraftbrewers/
Capn Ahab

Re: September Meeting

Post by Capn Ahab »

Mike Palmer wrote:
Safale S-04 (a standard yeast will allow flavour to become process-dominated)
TBH if it's just about process, you may as well use a totally neutral yeast like us05, as so4 is still liable to produce fruity esters; depends how pointless people want to make the exercise.

Setting a much smaller gravity range, say 1.042-1.046 and allowing any yeast will be SO much more varied, and still allows freedom to mess about with process.
Eat sh*t or die trying
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

You're right Mark, it would be varied, but I didn't think that was the original point, perhaps Mike can clarify.

I saw it as a way of testing the integrity of your brewing process and getting feedback. Some members think they have issues with their brewing process and whilst not being able to tie any issues down to a single parameter, this type of test brew would still be useful.

If it's a showcase competition instead then, use whatever yeast etc and lose the opportunity for confirmation of your process against very similar beers.

I think there are enough competitions coming up and saw it as something different.
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

I wasn't thinking of it as a comp, more a discussion topic. If it's with the aim of ironing out process flaws, then one yeast is the way forward. I'd perhaps go as far as setting the og and ibu too though. Then it will be totally process focussed.
Eat sh*t or die trying
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

Capn Ahab wrote:I wasn't thinking of it as a comp, more a discussion topic. If it's with the aim of ironing out process flaws, then one yeast is the way forward. I'd perhaps go as far as setting the og and ibu too though. Then it will be totally process focussed.
To be fully focussed on process, you need to set a recipe with ingredients, OG, IBU and hop addition timings. That would give feedback on process and a brewers' system compared to others.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

alikocho wrote:
Capn Ahab wrote:I wasn't thinking of it as a comp, more a discussion topic. If it's with the aim of ironing out process flaws, then one yeast is the way forward. I'd perhaps go as far as setting the og and ibu too though. Then it will be totally process focussed.
To be fully focussed on process, you need to set a recipe with ingredients, OG, IBU and hop addition timings. That would give feedback on process and a brewers' system compared to others.
I agree. The most important thing is to decide what the purpose of this is and then tailor the exercise accordingly. There's no point at all in fudging it imo.
Eat sh*t or die trying
MapperMatt

Post by MapperMatt »

purpose: fun?
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

MapperMatt wrote:purpose: fun?
Definitely ;-)
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

MapperMatt wrote:purpose: fun?
So any yeast then?
Eat sh*t or die trying
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

I do wonder what the uptake of this will be for September, though. Some people might be focussing their efforts on that last beer for the National Competition....or not.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Aye could be more likely for the October meeting.