Meetings

BCB meet on the 1st Monday of every month at 8pm in the Royal Navy Volunteer, King Street.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/bristolcraftbrewers/
MapperMatt

Meetings

Post by MapperMatt »

Craft Brewers,

Just a quick reminder that the next meeting of Bristol Craft Brewers is this Thursday 5th May at the Cornubia. Time is 7.30pm for an 8pm start and the theme for this months meetings is MILDS! If you have a mild you would like to share with the group please do bring it along for tasting. If you don't have a mild, other beer styles are always welcome too!

On the agenda this month is:

1) Introductions
2) Ingredients exchange: members can use this opportunity to swap and purchase each other's surplus ingredients including malts, hops and yeasts
3) Updates: On Barrel project and competitions
4) Forward planning: What shall we do for the next 4-6 months meetings. Please have a think about what talks / events you would like the group to do in the next few months.
5) Question and Answer session
6) June meeting
7) AOB
8) Tastings

If there is anything else people would like on the agenda please let me know.

See you Thursday,

Matt
MapperMatt

July 2011 Meeting

Post by MapperMatt »

Dear Bristol Craft Brewers

Just a quick reminder that the next Bristol Craft Brewer’s meeting is this Thursday 7th July at the Cornubia, Bristol, 8pm.

1) Introductions
2) Ingredients swap
3) Mailing list
4) BCB Summer hoedown & other social events: Maltings visit; Cider day.
5) Bulk ordering process
6) Talk: Dispensing and Cornelius Draft System – Roger Parry
7) AOB
8) Tastings

As with all meetings, if there is a beer that you would like to share with the group please do bring it in for tasting.

If there is anything else that people would like added to the agenda please let me know.

Looking forward to seeing you all on Thursday.

Matt
MapperMatt

4th August Bristol Craft Brewers Meeting

Post by MapperMatt »

Dear Bristolian Craft Brewers

A quick reminder that the next Bristol Craft Brewers meeting is this Thursday 4th August, 8pm start at the Cornubia, Bristol.

The theme of this months meeting is Preparation for the National Homebrew Competition which will be held on 3rd September. Whilst there is one more meeting before the competition, this is the last one before the deadline for competition entries, which is 26th August.

With this in mind I would like to draw your attention to Item 7 on the agenda which is the submissions tasting session:
If you are planning to submit a beer to the competition and are unsure which category it should be submitted in, please bring a sample along to the meeting to share with the group. Ali Kocho-Williams will be providing feedback on your beer style with regard to the BJCP style guidelines.

To get the most value from this session, I would urge you to have a think about which style your beer may fit into prior to the meeting. The BJCP style guide can be viewed here: http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/

We will sample non-competition entries as usual, so please do bring in any beer that you would like to share with the group, even if you are not entering it into the competition.

The draft agenda for Thursday’s meeting is:

1) Introductions
2) Ingredients swap
3) Hop gardener’s question time: An update on how people’s hops are doing
4) Q&A session: If you have any brewing questions please put them to the group
5) AOB
6) National Homebrew Comp: Introduction (Ali Kocho-Williams)
7) National Homebrew Comp: Submissions tasting
8) Other beer tastings

If there are any items you would like added to the agenda please let me know. Looking forward to seeing you all on Thursday.

Cheers

Matt
MapperMatt

October 6th Meeting

Post by MapperMatt »

Hello Everyone,

Just the usual reminder to say that the next Bristol Craft Brewers Meeting is this Thursday 6th October, 8pm start at the Cornubia.

The theme for this months meeting is 'under the microscope'. Rich Poole will be bringing in his microscope so that we can look at the good, the bad and the ugly of beer and yeast under the lens. With this in mind please bring along something to look at under the microscope.

The agenda for this months meeting is as follows. As usual if you would like to add anything then let me know.

1) Introductions
2) Bulk ordering
3) November meeting - we have no content for this meeting yet! All ideas welcome.
4) Under the Microscope
5) AOB
5) Tastings

Thanks

Matt
Mike Palmer

Re: Meetings

Post by Mike Palmer »

Re: November meeting.

I'd like to know more about the impact and adulteration of water chemistry on brewing, since I (and a few others) will be attempting a largerrrrr about this time.
Long live SHA(T)!
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Re: October Agenda

An update on the Bristol BJCP course, please!
The craft beer revolution will not be sanitised!
(Apologies to Gil Scott-Heron)
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

SteveW wrote:Re: October Agenda

An update on the Bristol BJCP course, please!
That would probably be helpful, yes.

It looks like we'll start either late this month or early November. Sunday's are looking like a good idea - mid-late afternoon. I'm still trying to find a suitable venue that will accommodate a reasonable number of people AND have web access in order to do a live web linkup (St Werburghs Community Centre is looking promising). A chap from Lancaster University is helping out with the technology end of things. It is in hand, but these things take quite a little time to pull together, and I've been rather snowed under of late....

I currently have 43 people wanting to do the course and take the exam. With these numbers, it seems fair that only people committed to taking the exam should be participants (and you get points for attending), so I will be asking for deposits to guarantee places fairly soon. This will give us a whole year to prepare for the exam.

A very short debrief on the competition might be of value as well.
Mike Palmer wrote:Re: November meeting.

I'd like to know more about the impact and adulteration of water chemistry on brewing, since I (and a few others) will be attempting a largerrrrr about this time.
Water is a big and complex topic, but a talk might be useful. I could pull one together for the meeting, and it will be in the BJCP course.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
MapperMatt

November Meeting

Post by MapperMatt »

Hello Bristolian Craft Brewers,

Its that time of month again...: BCB meeting reminder time!

A quick reminder that the next Bristol Craft Brewers meeting is this Thursday 3rd November, 8pm at the Cornubia, Bristol.

1) Updates on Bulk ordering + Thank you for Arbor Ales
2) Opening of nominations for 2012 BCB chair
3) Update on the Winter Warmer competition / December meeting
4) Practical Water Treatment for the home brewer - Ali Kocho-Williams
5) AOB
6) Tastings

As always please bring along any beers that you would like to share with the group for feedback and discussion.

If there is anything you would like added to the agenda please let me know.

Hopefully see you all on Thursday,

Matt
MapperMatt

December Meeting

Post by MapperMatt »

Pre-yuletide meeting greetings Bristolian Craft Brewers,

A quick reminder that the next Bristol Craft Brewers meeting is this Thursday 1st December, 8pm at the Cornubia, Bristol.

1) Decision on 2012 Chair
2) Arbor & Cornubia thank you gift
3) AOB
4) Winter Warmer Competiton

In addition to the bottles that participants are entering in to the Winter warmer competition, please remember to bring along
an extra bottle of something good, which will go towards a thank you gift to Arbor Ales and Phil and Jackie at the Cornubia.

Also, we plan to have fine cheeses at the meeting, so if there is a cheese you like, please bring it along.

Hopefully see you all on Thursday,

Matt
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Two bottles if you can spare them, wine too.

Can some cheese providers also bring cheese knives and boards?