April 2012 minutes

BCB meet on the 1st Monday of every month at 8pm in the Royal Navy Volunteer, King Street.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/bristolcraftbrewers/
steve crawshaw

April 2012 minutes

Post by steve crawshaw »

Please find minutes attached with Richard's handout and the recipe for black bute porter

cheers

steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
SteveW

Re: April 2012 minutes

Post by SteveW »

Thanks for this Steve, I could have almost been there.........
The craft beer revolution will not be sanitised!
(Apologies to Gil Scott-Heron)
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Meeting for item 1 now clashes with BBF competition which I hope to be fit to get to. Can Matt still make it?

Unless there is a bit more enthusiasm in raising club funds and helping out then I suggest we decline the offer of several hundred pounds.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I'll see If I can get day off work to get to the planning meeting, but surely we can still help out on the day and make money for the group without going to the planning meeting, as long as those that are helping out on the day can commit to doing so before the meeting.

I am in, I can be there on the day, even if I can't make the planning meeting.
The craft beer revolution will not be sanitised!
(Apologies to Gil Scott-Heron)
Mike Palmer

Post by Mike Palmer »

I'm off all day on the 17th - when is the planning meeting? I am happy to attend if it doesn't clash with the BBF free-for-all.

I am also free to do whatever is required on the 19th. I reckon splat-therat with beery prizes...
Long live SHA(T)!
OneJohnK

Post by OneJohnK »

Hi all,

Just to say thanks for allowing me to visit your meeting, really enjoyed it. Glad you liked my beers, I should add that I dry hopped the Black Bute Porter with about 30g of Amarillo, but that was not listed when I did the original recipe.

Hope to get along to another of your meetings some time in the future, I will know to bring more beer next time.

Regards

John Kellett
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

According to Deschutes, the Black Butte has some different ingredients - http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/recipe/ ... rter-clone

And the CYBI clone looked like this (they felt it was cloned)

OG 1058
FG 1012
37 IBUs
27.6 SRM

WLP002

90 minute boil

10.58 lbs pale malt
1.39 lbs wheat malt
0.7 lbs crystal 80
0.42 lbs american chocolate 400l
0.42 lbs english chocolate malt 300-350l
0.42 lbs carapils

0.60 oz galena at 13%AA at 90min (can use nugget too)
0.25 oz cascade at 5.75%AA at 15min
0.25 oz mt. hood at 5.2%AA at 5min (can use tettnanger too)

Increased Ca to 129ppm

Fermented at 64F

Mashed at 130F for 10 minutes
Then 156F for 60 minutes
Then 168F for 10 minutes
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
MapperMatt

Post by MapperMatt »

Meeting for item 1 now clashes with BBF competition which I hope to be fit to get to. Can Matt still make it?
Just seen this. I have a prior engagement that rules me out of the comp or the meeting.

Roger have you been able to provide Mike or Steve W with details of the meeting at Pete & Carol's?

Thanks

Matt
OneJohnK

Post by OneJohnK »

Sorry chaps, I should have said the recipe I gave you was not a slavish copy of Black Butte Porter, although the grain bill is pretty close. It’s rather like Black Ink was probably not being a slavish copy of the beers it was copied from, at least by naming it after the beer it was based on, it gives anybody wanting to try it a good idea of what to expect.

By the way Rich, well done for winning the competition.

John Kellett
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

OneJohnK wrote:Sorry chaps, I should have said the recipe I gave you was not a slavish copy of Black Butte Porter, although the grain bill is pretty close.

Then why represent it as being Deschutes Black Butte Porter, rather than based on? Claiming it is can cause confusion. It doesn't give people an idea of what to expect if they expect one thing and the recipe leads to something else.

And "the grain bill is pretty close"? Well yes, but 95% pale malt, 5% dark crystal is the Fullers London Pride, ESB and Chiswick grist. If I brewed that but added different hops and dry hopped with Amarillo, and called it London Pride do you think that would give people a fair idea of what to expect?
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com