What's brewing?

BCB meet on the 1st Monday of every month at 8pm in the Royal Navy Volunteer, King Street.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/bristolcraftbrewers/
I_used_to_brew

What's brewing?

Post by I_used_to_brew »

The pale ale I made that was tasted at the March BCB meeting is to be entered into the BBF competition and there is an 11 litre cornelius keg of it in the boot of the car replicating a passage to India. Comparison tasting in due course.

I'm quite pleased with my (not really a) mild and I've slung some of that in bottles ready to enter also, we can taste that at the May meeting.

I have some friends that only drink l*ger and so I have made up two Coopers P*lsner kits, that should last the summer - not wasting good grain on l*ger drinkers! Perhaps I can wean them onto perry and cider?
MapperMatt

Re: What's brewing?

Post by MapperMatt »

The pale ale I brought to the March BCB meeting was a variation on Durden Park X-ale 50 brewings OG 1060. I added 50g cascade post boil.
I have also brewed my standard 1050 bitter using dark crystal. Not overly pleased with this so won't be submitting to BBF.

I have just bottled another 1060 X-ale variation, made with Rich's progress.

My mild is a 1060 recipe from Durden which mysteriously came out at 1050. Currently conditioning.

In the fermenter I have a 1042 bitter made with a little carared.

My next brew will be an attempt at Roger's pale ale that he brought to march meeting. Roger, what was the OG for that beer?
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

This is the basic recipe:

Pale Malt 5 EBC 74.3%
Munich Malt 20 EBC 18.6%
Wheat Malt 3.5 EBC 7.1%

Mash Temp 67C

Centennial Whole 11.5 % 90 mins 35.5%
Centennial Whole 11.5 % 10 mins 10.8%
Green Bullet Whole 13.6 % 0 mins 53.8%

Original Gravity: 1.065
Final Gravity: 1.015
Alcohol Content: 6.6% ABV
Bitterness: 50 EBU
Colour: 17 EBC
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

This weekend is time to make the Biere de Mars for me - A French Ale that fits within style as a Biere de Garde, but has a little more hop character and a touch of wheat. It's one of a number of farmhouse ales traditionally made in northeastern France/Western Belgium brewed in the spring for refreshment during the hot summer months of farming. As they were designed to be kept for some time, they are all quite strong - this one should come out at 7%. It should be ready for the May meeting, but I hope to age some into next year...

I also need to marshall my entries for the BBF competition. I'm putting in my London Porter, a Smoked Porter, the California Common (tasted at the last meeting), and a Black IPA based on Kernel's recipe (which is in turn based on 21st Ammendment's Back in Black), which I'll bring for American Ales night.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Since stocks are low, I am at the moment brewing once a week!

Although not strictly ready I am drinking an oatmeal stout made with porridge oats the recipe is a 63/- Oatmeal Stout from Maclay’s of Alloa Circa 1909, number 92 in the latest Durden Park book ‘British beers and How To Make Them’.

On the brewing front at the moment I have a mild, X ale (1867, George's Porter Brewery) Durden Park (No. 9) Mild at OG 1.062 settling and awaiting bottling.

Also a variation on one of my most brewed Ales, an amber Ale based on Durden Park (No. 76) at 1.041 with First Gold Hops instead of the more traditional Fuggles, it's still clearing down.

In a fermenter I have a Brown Stout (Durden Park No. 121) again from George's Porter Brewery at 1.076. I am planning to age this with some bourbon oak barrel chips for four months then bottle for three further months. (Bring on the Big Barrel Project!)

Finally in another fermenter I have my take on Ushers (of Trowbridge) Autumn Frenzy one of their seasonal ales (sadly missed) with crystal rye malt at 1.040, this will be casked and drunk as soon as it clears!

This weeks Brew after much deliberation will be Kingston Amber Ale:

Kingston Amber Ale (ca. 1830) Durden No.29 (2nd Ed.)

Quantities per Gallon

OG 1.060

Amber ales were popular in London.
Ratios of amber malt to pale malt varied from 3:1 to 1:1;
OGs from 50 to 70, and hop rates from 3/8 to 3/4 oz per gallon.
Amber Ales are similar in style to Theakston's Old Peculiar.

1 1/4 lb Pale Malt
1 1/4 lb Amber Malt
2 oz Chocolate Malt

3/4 oz Fuggles or Goldings Hops

Method No. 1

Mature for 3-4 months.

(Taken from County Beermakers website http://www.countybeermakers.org.uk/oldb ... 2-list.php )

I have brewed this several times always a winner in my book!
The craft beer revolution will not be sanitised!
(Apologies to Gil Scott-Heron)
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

SteveW wrote:
Although not strictly ready I am drinking an oatmeal stout made with porridge oats the recipe is a 63/- Oatmeal Stout from Maclay’s of Alloa Circa 1909, number 92 in the latest Durden Park book ‘British beers and How To Make Them’.

I like the sound of this, must try yours and must make it, I have now ordered the DP book.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Until The book arrives heres the recipe:

for 23 litres:

Grist:
3402g Pale malt
1701g Porridge Oats
284g Amber malt
567g Black malt

3 hour mash at 66 degrees centigrade

Bittering Hops, 90 minute Boil:
50g Goldings @ 6.01% A.A.
38g Goldings @ 6.99% A.A.

5g Irish Moss last 15 minutes of Boil

This gave me an O.G. of 1.052

I fermented using a Burton live yeast.
Recommended Maturation time: 2 - 3 months

Or in Imperial:

Per Gallon (U.K.)

Grist:
1.5 lb Pale malt
12 oz Porridge Oats
2 oz Amber Malt
4 oz Black Malt

1 oz Fuggles (@ 4% A.A.)

Dry Hop with 0.1 oz Fuggles or Goldings

(Taken From the third edition of Old British Beers and How to Make Them
by Dr John Harrison & The Durden Park Beer Circle)

Their website : http://www.durdenparkbeer.org.uk/
Book ordering:http://www.durdenparkbeer.org.uk/Publications.htm
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

This is making me thirsty!

Made a mild a few weeks ago based on McMullen AK Mild. Recipe on my blog

tried last night, and while not quite ready is drinkable and when fully conditioned should be a nice pint. I'll bring some to our next meeting.

Will be brewing a hoppy bitter this weekend.
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Last weeks Beer, Kingston Amber Ale, a favourite of mine is just finishing primary fermentation.

This is one of the ales I have made several times, becoming a firm favourite!

Thoughts as to this weeks beer? Dunno looking at my meagre hop store, it will have to be somthing
with low bitterness!

I will post the recipe for the Kingston amber ale in the recipe thread.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

I've lots of spare Northdown and Marynka hops (both good in dark beers) which you are welcome to some of if you want. I'm brewing Saturday so will be in most of the day.