Cidermaking visit

BCB meet on the 1st Monday of every month at 8pm in the Royal Navy Volunteer, King Street.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/bristolcraftbrewers/
I_used_to_brew

Cidermaking visit

Post by I_used_to_brew »

As many of you know I like a drop of cider and make use of upwards of a tonne of apples each year, the owner of one of the orchards I buy my apples from runs a cider weekend each year. Generally on the last weekend in October. The farm is a mile or so South of Keynsham.

I'll be popping down to see the farmer in the next few months so I should be able to finalise arangements then.

It would be good to know who would be interested in attending. The session lasts 2-3 hours and you get to pick apples, mill them and press them using a huge Victorian press. Usually the juice is used to make the farms own cider but I think it should be possible to take some juice away for home fermenting, I could guess at the price for 25litres (about £5) based on the apple price, but he may have a different price in mind.

There is cheese, bread and cider for refreshments afterwards, participation is free.

So, are you interested in attending and would you like some juice if it's possible?
SteveW

Re: Cidermaking visit

Post by SteveW »

Hi there Roger,

I would be very interested in attending and would also like some Juice to ferment!
Having said that I know almost nothing about making cider so would love to learn!

Put me on the list.
Hows the Barrel, Has gone to its new home yet?
We must sort out paying you (or is it Richard?) for it!

(My mild is clearing slowly and my 1.076 Porter is fermenting well.)

Steve
The craft beer revolution will not be sanitised!
(Apologies to Gil Scott-Heron)
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Barrels still here! Had to put it in the front garden and cover it up with a tarp for now.
MapperMatt

Post by MapperMatt »

Hi Roger, as discussed my brother and I would like to come on this, as would my neighbour. They will prob both want to buy some juice.
Cheers,
Matt
Mike Palmer

Post by Mike Palmer »

Yes to both please Roger.
Long live SHA(T)!
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

So far I have;

Me +1
SteveW
Matt +2
MikeP +1

Any more as I will be booking this in the next few days. It will most likely be the 29th or 30th October probably in the morning. The whole process will take about 3 hours, there is no charge.
Last edited by I_used_to_brew on Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MapperMatt

Post by MapperMatt »

Hi Roger,
Yep me and my brother are still up for the visit and will defo want to take away some juice. I assume we would need to bring our own vessel for this? Would you reccomend a bucket or a barrel?
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

A closed fermenter will be best. will speak to farmer this week to finalize details.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

This is now fixed for Sunday 16th October at 9:30am.

Cider apple juice will be available, for participants, at £1 per gallon to take away and ferment.

You will need to provide a suitable closed vessel for transporting the juice away in. If you don't have anything suitable then let me know in advance and the farm can provide these at £15 each.

We shall meet at Elm Farm, Burnett, Keynsham, BS31 2TF

The orchard is likely to be moist from overnight dew so dress appropriately.
SandyM

Post by SandyM »

Cool, I might actually be able to come along to this now the dates are different.
Burns stuff. And makes beer. Usually not at the same time.