Bramling X over (The "Test Brew")

BCB meet on the 1st Monday of every month at 8pm in the Royal Navy Volunteer, King Street.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/bristolcraftbrewers/
Bimster

Re: Bramling X over (The "Test Brew")

Post by Bimster »

I should be there.
James

BJCP Certified Judge
richpoole

Post by richpoole »

What was the original AA% on those bramling cross? I'm a bit worried they may have really dropped off seeing they are 2011.
Anybody got a good estimate for current AA%?

rich
He who chases two rabbits catches neither.
richpoole

Post by richpoole »

Hello everybody,

Sorry to confuse matters but due to the age of the bramling cross (2 years) I m going to have to adjust my recipe for the Alpha acid loss for it to have enough bitterness. Assuming the bale was kept sealed at 8oC I reckon the adjusted AA is about 4.5% this means the hop charge needs upping.
I haven't altered the 15, 5 and 0 min additions just the 90mins. I have increased it from 0.85g/l to 2.0 g/l. This puts us in a middle of the road bitterness and allows for error either way to yield a still drinkable beer.
Sorry to change this around and I realise people may have to adjust brew length but I think it will be a much better beer for it. If people would rather stick to the original then that's fine but Im going with the new one. See below.

Original Gravity (OG): 1.051 (°P): 12.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 5.01 %
Colour (SRM): 6.3 (EBC): 12.4
Bitterness (IBU): 39.8 (Tinseth)

93.07% Maris Otter Malt
4.95% Caramalt
1.98% Wheat Malt

2 g/L Bramling Cross (4.5% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (First Wort)
2.1 g/L Bramling Cross (4.5% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
2.6 g/L Bramling Cross (4.5% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
3 g/L Bramling Cross (4.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Safale S-04

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Cheers

Rich
He who chases two rabbits catches neither.
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

I have just made this. the 200 odd grams of Bx held quite a bit of wort so my final volume was way down. Also my O2 cylinder ran out so I just shook the FV for a while.
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
Jeltz69

Post by Jeltz69 »

Did you brew the original or amended recipe Steve? By my reckoning 200g (194g to be exact) would only allow a 20l brew length with the amended recipe.
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

Hi Nic
The amended one, and yes, my brew length was 20L, though I didn't collect 20, was more like 17 i reckon
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
Bimster

Post by Bimster »

Started to key the recipe into Beersmith last night in preparation for brewing this, this weekend.

Beersmith underwent and update and I've noticed something I'm not sure about and wonder if other people have noticed it as well.................

Beforehand, my recipes, I used to key in the Aroma hop addition by selecting "Aroma" in relevant drop down (opposed to "Boil" or "First Wort" or "Dry Hop"). I then set the time for this to 30 mins. This then went into the recipe and didn't add any bitterness to the recipe.

However, since this update, the "Aroma" drop down has changed to "Steep/Whirlpool" and if this has a time added (30 mins for example) then this then adds IBUs to the overall recipe. Obviously, if you set the time to zero, no IBUs are added to the recipe.

When I opened up old recipes, the IBUs have shot up due to this. Has anyone else experienced this? I was of the understanding that my aroma addition, drop temp to 80 degrees Celsius and steep for 30 minutes wouldn't add any bitterness. Is this correct?

What does everybody else do on Beersmith at this point?

Thanks.

PS any comments about not using Beersmith are pointless at this point.
James

BJCP Certified Judge
PMowdes

Post by PMowdes »

I hadn't noticed that, but i did notice that when i tried to print to file (i.e make a pdf) it kill my computer (3 times).

Not overly happy.

It sounds like a total nightmare that it alters all of your old recipes.
60 percent of the time it works every time.
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

Yes, I've noticed this with Beersmith. It is annoying that it retrospectively amends your old recipes, making them much more bitter if you have added steep \ aroma \ whirlpool hops. I know it was touted as an improvement to the software, but I intuitively feel that it over - eggs the bitterness from the steep phase, so tend to not take too much notice of the bittering that the software ascribes to this part of the process.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Bimster wrote:
Beersmith underwent and update and I've noticed something I'm not sure about and wonder if other people have I was of the understanding that my aroma addition, drop temp to 80 degrees Celsius and steep for 30 minutes wouldn't add any bitterness. Is this correct?
Of course it will add bitterness, it's just not easy to calculate. Maybe BS is having a go at getting it right.