Bramling X over (The "Test Brew")

BCB meet on the 1st Monday of every month at 8pm in the Royal Navy Volunteer, King Street.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/bristolcraftbrewers/
SandyM

Re: Bramling X over (The "Test Brew")

Post by SandyM »

Finally getting round to brewing this today. Mine will be a little different I'm afraid as I thought I had Caramalt but don't. Thinking I will substitute pale crystal (40) at about half quantity, it's either that or Munich which I think will add too much colour.
Burns stuff. And makes beer. Usually not at the same time.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Might have time to brew this tomorrow so should easily be ready in a month's time.
Jeltz69

Post by Jeltz69 »

Mine stalled @ 1020 after a week, have given it a stir and it looks like it might be taking off again but unusual for S-04
nuBroo

Post by nuBroo »

Making this today, the BX I got from Colin is 7.4 not 4.5 so have used 1g/l not 2

Not sure if this is right but its what I've done.
PMowdes

Post by PMowdes »

I made mine today, had a nightmare with my HLT early on, got it fixed but ended up being a long day.
60 percent of the time it works every time.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Might get half a chance on Monday, otherwise not looking good for the March meeting :(
Jeltz69

Post by Jeltz69 »

Jeltz69 wrote:Mine stalled @ 1020 after a week, have given it a stir and it looks like it might be taking off again but unusual for S-04
Turns out that was rubbish and I made the same mistake in reading again today! I was alerted to the fact by tasting, it wasn't as sweet as 1.020 should have been so used a refractometer plugged in the start and current Brix into an online calculator and it gave me a FG of 1.008. Looked at the load of numbers on my hydrometer and realised I'd been looking at the wrong ones that will teach me to just float this hydrometer in the FV instead of using a trial jar and looking at it properly!

1.008 isn't a surprise as the loose grist ratio of BIAB and and extended (overnight) mash both have a tendency towards producing more fermentable beers.
Jeltz69

Post by Jeltz69 »

well all tipped away today as its infected :(
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

Jeltz69 wrote:well all tipped away today as its infected :(
Shit man. I feel your pain. What do you think caused that? Hydrometer? What were the characteristics?
cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
Jeltz69

Post by Jeltz69 »

Not sure it had been in the fermenter longer than it should have though. Still only the 2nd brew that has been undrinkable, the 1st being a kit.