November 2013 Meeting

BCB meet on the 1st Monday of every month at 8pm in the Royal Navy Volunteer, King Street.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/bristolcraftbrewers/
steve crawshaw

November 2013 Meeting

Post by steve crawshaw »

Hi

Just your monthly notification of the forthcoming meeting: 7th November, 8PM start at the Golden Guinea.
Please remember to buy a beer or two at the bar as Stephen is letting us use the room at a good price.

Draft Agenda:

1. Introductions
2. Bulk buy \ hop contract update. Please bring any supplement for malt as per Roger's email
3. Events
4. Competitions
5. Consolidation of Bristol clubs for bulk buy and competition purposes
6. Future content for meetings \ club projects
7. Venues
8. Structured feedback - please notify me if you want to submit a beer, Max of 4. Using shortform BJCP forms.
9. Tastings

Let me know if you want anything added to the agenda.

cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
steve crawshaw

Re: November 2013 Meeting

Post by steve crawshaw »

Hi

These are the action points \ agreements from last nights meeting:

If anyone fancies the derby winter ales festival contact steve W as there may be opportunity for bulk rail discounts.

We may go for a social curry BYO in the new year.

It was agreed that we would consolidate the bristol clubs for the purposes of competitions and bulk buys. The following provisions are relevant:

1. A name will be decided for the "umbrella" organisation by poll. I will post separately on this.

2. It was proposed that BCB run the malt buy and someone from BBC run the hops end. I will discuss this with Mark \ BBC members at the next BBC. BCB members approved this proposal

We agreed that BCB membership fees would increase to £15 pa from Jan 14 to cover potential increase in venue hire and to give us a buffer in this event. Further increase \ review would be subject to vote

Pete Coombs will organise the winter warmer competition next month which will be at the golden guinea (upstairs). Bring 4 bottles of your beer (3 for the comp and 1 for the landlord) and some cheese.

Content for future meetings:

Roger has agreed to do a talk - content TBC
Rich Poole will do one on going commercial
Pete will do one on olfactory perception
We will have at least one meeting which will be "informal"
I also propose to continue quarterly structured feedback sessions. This can be reviewed.
I will plan meetings in consultation with these speakers

We also agreed to run a "test brew" which will use a standard recipe to test variations in brewers style and techniques. Richard will design and post a recipe, roger will procure ingredients if needed. It needs to be a simple recipe to accommodate a range of equipment.

Tim offered to look into a bulk buy of crown caps and will get prices and quantities.

Following a chat with richard, I think it would be a good idea if we have a break in the meetings so that there is an opportunity to buy beer at the bar so we can sustain our relationship with the golden guinea. I will amend agendas to reflect this.

Please see attached the results from the structured feedback last night. I will try and find some time to analyse these as previously.

cheers
steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
Bimster

Post by Bimster »

Thanks Steve,

Just had a quick look at the feedback and scores - initial thought (without analysis) is that the results are getting more similar,, especially the comments.

Maybe going forward it would be beneficial to have a handout/guide as to what score means what i.e.

• Excellent ratings (38-44) should be assigned to beers that are excellent representations of the style.
• Very Good ratings (30-37) should be assigned to very good representations of the style that have only minor flaws.
• Good ratings (21-29) should be assigned to good representations of the style that have significant flaws.
• Drinkable ratings (14-20) should be assigned to beers that do not adequately represent the style because of serious flaws.
• A problem rating (13 or lower) is typically assigned to beers that contain flaws that are so serious that the beer is rendered undrinkable.
• The scoresheet reserves the 45-50 range for outstanding beers that are truly world-class.

This could help improve consistency a bit more - just a thought.
James

BJCP Certified Judge
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

Hi James
Yes I think that would be helpful. Part of the idea of doing it is that people get used to judging beers objectively to a standard, so a set of benchmark scores \ ranges helps to focus on the standards and scores that are appropriate.

Obviously the way we do it is quite anarchic compared to a competition but we should still aim to judge to that standard.

cheers
steve
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

A few small points. Can you add a total score box to the form, most of us forgot to total the score, a box would be a reminder. The other thing is can we just do three beers or can we fit four beers on one sheet, would make scanning etc easier.

I've ordered some Bramling Cross as requested.
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

RogerP wrote:A few small points. Can you add a total score box to the form, most of us forgot to total the score, a box would be a reminder. The other thing is can we just do three beers or can we fit four beers on one sheet, would make scanning etc easier.

I've ordered some Bramling Cross as requested.
Yep, fair points. I think I will do some forms where there are 2 per piece of paper and I will put a total box in.
cheers
steve
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

Please see attached some charts summarising the scores by brewer and judge.
cheers
steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.