meeting idea?

BCB meet on the 1st Monday of every month at 8pm in the Royal Navy Volunteer, King Street.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/bristolcraftbrewers/
I_used_to_brew

meeting idea?

Post by I_used_to_brew »

I have vague memories of this having been discussed before and it didn't really lead anywhere, but I can only suggest it again...

It could even stretch to cover two meetings.

Formulate a recipe for 'a beer' that we all think we would enjoy drinking. So first meeting, plenty of opportunity for recipe discussion, brewing methods etc.

Mini bulk buy of any ingredients required.

Brew beer. Your choice of all brewing parameters and yeast, but aiming for a given style, so no brewing an APA with a Belgian yeast for example.

Share, compare, contrast and enjoy said beer.

So with the emphasis on fun and also some possibilities for learning, what do you think?
PMowdes

Re: meeting idea?

Post by PMowdes »

So everyone makes the same recipe (with the exception of the yeast)?

I can see that it might serve to show variations in technique, ability etc but if it goes well for everyone won't we all end up a lot of very similar beers??

I kind of like the fact that there are lots of different beers and styles to taste and that there are lots of different abilities. I've certainly learnt more about beer in the last twelve months than i ever expected.

Having said that I do like the idea of doing something different from time to time.
60 percent of the time it works every time.
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

Yes, I recall we were going to try this in the days of Mike Palmer. I even brewed a SMASH beer with maris otter and goldings but i had to ditch it due to infection. I think the learning would be better if we varied something a bit, so for example use the same grist and yeast but different hops, or keep grist and hops constant but vary the yeast...?

I agree that we should try some new activities, I don't want the meetings to become stale. Perhaps we can discuss at the next meeting, I will put it on the agenda.

cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

I don't think all the beers would be the same even if we were quite strict about the ingredients.

We would see differences for a variety of reasons, and we could discuss why.
SandyM

Post by SandyM »

I quite like the idea, maybe we would just set the grist and hop varieties but vary the timings and amounts for hops. If we kept within style they would still be pretty similar but it would be interesting to see what different peoples recipes do.
Burns stuff. And makes beer. Usually not at the same time.