October 2013 Meeting

BCB meet on the 1st Monday of every month at 8pm in the Royal Navy Volunteer, King Street.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/bristolcraftbrewers/
steve crawshaw

October 2013 Meeting

Post by steve crawshaw »

Hi

Just your monthly notification of the forthcoming meeting: 3rd October, 8PM start at the stag and hounds, Old Market.

As you will recall, this is an open meeting kicking off Bristol Beer Week so we may have a few visitors. We agreed to bring along an extra bottle or two and be prepared to talk about your beer and brewing techniques. I think (Roger and Rich?) agreed to bring along some ingredients to sniff and eat.

The structured feedback session scheduled for October will be deferred until the November meeting.

Draft Agenda:

1. Introductions
2. Bulk buy \ hop contract update. If you want malt, you need to bring along £20 per sack (or part thereof) to the meeting
3. Events
4. Competitions
[EDIT] 5. location of BCB meetings from November onwards
6. Tastings

Let me know if you want anything added to the agenda.

cheers
steve
Last edited by steve crawshaw on Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
richpoole

Re: October 2013 Meeting

Post by richpoole »

Hi Fellas,

Unfortunately might not be able to make it to the October meeting as I'm doing another Bristol beer week thing at the Hare on the hill where my beer is being released. If someone from the club could come along to the hare 7ish I can pass on the malt samples and cash for the malt. I will try and come along to the club after depending on how its going at the hare and if i'm still needed there.

cheers

Rich
He who chases two rabbits catches neither.
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

don't worry rich, I can bring some malt etc. Hope the Hare event goes well. Can Phil bring your cash to the meeting?
cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

Hi
We have a potential problem with the next meeting. The stag and Hounds is hosting live music on that night from 8 - 11. If it's like previous nights (and judging from the line up it will be) we will not be able to conduct a meeting.

I wrote to the landlord last week asking him to let us know if gigs were planned on our meeting nights but received no reply.

I am happy to take advice on what to do. As this is the open meeting we have the added complication of co-ordinating with bristol beer week but I don't think that should stop us from seeking a new venue if this is thought appropriate.

Does anyone have any thoughts or options for a suitable alternative central meeting place at (very) short notice?

Steve
PMowdes

Post by PMowdes »

What a nightmare?

I don't know anywhere else, will they need to be a liscenced premises???

I wonder if i can ask Lee / Steve to put a call out on FB / Twitter for any ideas where we can hold it.

Does the bag of nails / Three tuns / Royal navy volunteer have a room?
60 percent of the time it works every time.
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

I am looking at a couple of options, but there will likely be a charge above what we normally pay. Hold off on the bristol beer week route until I have explored other options
cheers
steve
PMowdes

Post by PMowdes »

No worries.
60 percent of the time it works every time.
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

OK I think we have a potential room. I have called in at the Golden Guinea, on Guinea Street, redcliffe on the way home. They will let us have a room on thursday for £5. The usual rules apply, buy beers before and after if you stay on after the meeting. They have a room which is downstairs, large enough with a big table and enough seats. They also have an outdoors area for the summer. I have spoken to steve, the landlord who is a nice guy, and happily they have a more interesting selection of beers than S&H.

Clearly I am going to have to make a decision tonight on this as the meeting is thursday, so I intend to confirm with steve by 9PM unless someone has a suitable confirmed alternative venue. I suggest we decide at the meeting if we make this a regular booking because we can't be put in this position by the S&H any more.

I will email to all members and BBW coordinators when a decision is confirmed.

cheers
steve
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Just like old times. I used to live next door, the landlady used to fall asleep and leave you to serve yourself, it must have changed since I last went there!

Happy to change until the next best thing comes along.
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

We will meet at the golden guinea for an 8PM start. The room is booked. Please tell anyone you think might be coming, I don't want people at the S&H wondering where we are!

I will call at the S&H on the way home and tell them we have moved this event

don't forget to bring an extra bottle or two for the public meeting and your money for malt.
cheers
steve